Pauns

Y

younggun7

Got lucky this year and drew a pauns rifle deer tag just looking for any advice or information that you think would be helpful. Really excited for this one! Thanks for your help!

There is NOTHING more valuable on the Paunsy than experiance!

Been going there about semi-anualy for 25 years....
Learn somthing new every time!

Once you know the migration routes, your in business....

I know one thing, the way the weather is looking this year,
and the later rifle dates on the Pauns,
I'd be looking WAAAAAY low there this year come October!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Hunt dates aren't any later than normal. In fact, it starts earlier than when I had the same tag two years ago. Experience might be the single greatest asset on any unit, but with the Pauns it isn't realistic for most to have it. The vast majority won't ever hunt it, and those lucky enough to do it likely will only get to do it once. Basically what I'm trying to say is you'll have to learn quick and get a little lucky, but you're in for the experience of a lifetime. The Pauns is a special place. Very special.

Asking here is a good start, as there are a number of people here (like goofy elk) that know it very well. Do a search and you'll see posts of these guys. You can reach out to them privately by PM and get some great info.

Here is what I have to say about your hunt. Get some good maps and study, study, study! Google Earth is a great tool as well. There are only so many routes off the White Cliffs the deer can take. These are the foundation of the migration routes goofy was talking about. Another key is key. But the routes are #1. I've never seen anything like it. Pretty awesome. Stay below the White Cliffs. I'm not sure the deer will get below 89 like goofy was suggesting due to the new fence across the road. This will be year two for the deer but I still think it will take more time for the herd to fully adjust.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I know. I'm not like goofy or others that have spent a lot of time there, but is like to think that with the help of many on here and other places I talked to I was able to do pretty well for myself.

I think nilla is right on. I hunted it last year and saw a lot of deer all over that unit. It is one place that I will never forget. Last year it was dang hot (80 degrees during the day) and the deer were at the fence by 89. Lots of deer harvested by the fence. One day about noon we counted 100 deer standing by the fence trying to get across. I hunted it alittle and mossback was there with his many guides and clients. Start in the south part of the unit and go north. You will see deer.

TS----
For over two decades the Paunsy rifle hunt dates were two weeks
earlier they are currantly being held now.........

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Thanks everybody for your help, I'm more familiar with the northern area around tropic res. and Bryce canyon so I've spent a little bit of time around there. This coming weekend I'm making another trip down and I wanna go more south like you've been suggesting, if you have any ideas about where to go beneath the white cliffs let me know. Thanks

Goof, that is interesting. Didn't realize it was later than it used to be when I hunted in 2012. I will say this--that year, the beginning of the hunt the deer had not made it down to the Buckskins in mass numbers yet. Since I tagged out opening morning I didn't stick around long enough to see when that happened.

Younggun- don't plan on seeing many deer below the Whites right now. You may see some. But for the most part you will see nothing. I spent a day and a half in August when I had the tag just after a big rain storm. Didn't even see a single track in the sand, let alone a deer. Just get to know the area and find the gaps off the cliffs. They are not hard to find.

I'm jealous. That place is magical.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom