Panguich Lake Southwest Desert

M

muleman

12 points & looking at a late season Elk hunt in one of these units. At 62 I may not be phisically able to hunt the Book Cliffs Roadless that I've always wanted by the time I can draw it.
Which of these units would be best?
Am I wasteing 12 points on them?
Would I need my Mules to hunt either unit?
350" class of animals?
Access issues?
A flatlander form Nebraska can use any info. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Wayne

Muleman I have to ask are you planning on going guided or DIY. Both are great units and with patients persistence and time you can kill that caliber of bull. Both are tough units and for panguitch lake I would say mules would be great to use to your advantage. Southwest desert I can't tell you much other than I have a cousin that guides with us and he knows the unit like the back of his hand and if you were going to do a guided hunt I could get you his info. I know the southwest is a little dependent on the weather from what I have heard. I guess if you get to much bad weather the bulls on the west side of the unit can and will migrate into Nevada. Let me know if you need his contact info.

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Thanks Big6,
I don't have anything against outfitters I've just always hunted on my own, so this is DIY. I'm retired so I can come out 2 weeks early & Scout, more if needed, which will help locateing animals.
Of these 2 Areas which is more favorable for glassing from high vantage points?
I'm open to other areas and archery Hunts as well for you guys in the know! I'm just thinking with 12 points & my age I'd better look at something I can draw sooner than the Book Cliffs Roadless. Appreciate the help!

Wayne

Hi Wayne think we ran into you last year in Wyoming.I'm the one that was with my brother and dad and mules from Oregon. Just wondering what you ended up getting there.would like to talk to you again.

both good hunts. SWD is a lot loss rugged on most of it. panguitch has more rugged areas for late hunt.

SWD has little cell service except in a few areas. it has very good access and snow wont be as big of a factor unless its an off year. usually not much snow on it that retains for very long.

Panguitch has less access( still plenty!) for late hunts and snow is more of a factor. some cell service in a few areas. mules would and could be much more beneficial.

Mules may not be bad on either depending on how oyu hunt. on SWD a 4 wheeler can get you around on a lot of trails and its not illegal to retrieve your elk with a 4 wheeler off road.

Panguitch has a lot of area that it would be illegal to get the elk out with an atv(NF land).

On late hunts both can be glassed from. panguitch can be tough for glassing in a lot of areas but swd can as well in some spots, but more burns and country to glass imo on swd.

Honestly a 350 is doable on either. Id say the avg panguitch bull is 320-330 and average swd bull is 340. I have been on hunts on both and its really a matter of preference. I like the swd better myself because its what i know better. SWD is mostly pinon juniper, sage, some but very few areas with quakies, some oak brush. panguitch has a mix of all. can hunt most any type of vegitation.

Can i ask why you chose these 2 units?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-13 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]Packmules,
Yes we did meet in wyoming last fall, was wondering how you guys came out? I got into a herd of 150-200 head daily down on private the last week of Archery, to many eyes, had several oppertunities with the bow just not what I was looking for. I had been hunting a big 6 with bow but couldn't make it happen, with all his female friends.
Odds fell in my court when rifle opened, and shot him at 643 yds opening morning, just got him scored 2 weeks ago he netted 357".
I sent you a PM would like to here how you guys came out?

Theox, Great info, that's some of the stuff I'M looking for.
Sent you a PM.
Thanks, Wayne

A friend of mine drew the Book Cliffs Bitter Creek South last year and shot a 370 bull. You may be able to draw that unit.

We ended up with 3 bulls right at 330. Two with a bow and one with the rifle.give my dad a call (503)8268056.

Good for you guys packmule, I'll give your dad a call!

Rassmussen, was that 370 with a Bow or Rifle, I've only got 12 points?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom