Packing out Meat

D

dbrehm

I read an article awhile back on how to cut up a deer without gutting it. Here at home we always gut them and drag them out to take home but dont seem like a good idea packing the carcass out of the backcountry. If anyone could steer me in the right direction on this I would appreciate the advice.

that's the only way I do it now! its really easy, just start at the tail and cut the skin all the way to the base of the skull. if you going to cape your animal make sure to cut clean. then cut down along the mid ribs toward the guts. now just skin out the hind quarter and then cut the quarter off. now skin the front quarter and cut off. make sure you get the straps and neck meat. then just roll him over and do the other side the same way. easiest way I've ever seen! hope that helps.

To take it a step further after you quarter the animal or even while it is attached to the carcass you can bone out the meat. This reduces the weight substantially and makes the meat less gaming when cooking. No bone marrow.

JR

The only problem with doing it this way is that you are leaving the best part of the deer behind. The liver, and there is only one way to get to it, Gut It.

The Liver is the best part of the Deer?

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

You could get to the liver by slicing the side of the animal along the last rib, then pulling it out and cutting it loose. This could be done without completing removing all the entrails. The tenderloins can also be removed this way. When I do an elk, I generally leave all the bones on the spot, especially the scapulas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom