Packing Out Meat

carterj16

I de-bone 90% of what I shoot and put the meat in a Black Heavy Duty garbage sack. I heard somewhere that putting the meat in a plastic bag is not good for the meat? I have never had problems and as soon as its packed out I throw it in a cooler. I'm I fine putting meat in plastic sacks?

You are taking a unnecessary risk doing that. I guess if it is only in there for an hour or so while you are just packing it out it probably doesn't hurt. The negatives is the plastic acts as an insulator and doesn't allow it to cool, especially being black it is generating more heat in the meat.
If you have never had problems with the way you do it then you should be ok, just don't leave it in there very long.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

On our recent Dall Sheep/Caribou hunt (10 Day) we boned out two sheep and two Caribou and put the meat directly in plastic bags to get it back to camp. But as soon as we got back to camp we put the sacks directly in the river to cool the meat until we could get it flown out.
The meat turned out great and the outfit has been doing that for years. The biggest issue with saving any meat is to get it cooled as quickly as possible. The bags just keep the dirt off and the blood from leaking out. Plus it keeps the smell down so the bears don't come running.

I've been doing that for years in black or white plastic bags, but try to get it out to cool better within a few hours. I've never lost a pound of meat or noticed any souring at all.

Thought i would comment also. What i have always done is lets say quarter the animal first that way the quarters start cooling instantly, then lets say do the neck meat, back straps, and so on. Throw that meat in a game bag and then move on teh boning out the quarters. Keep putting the meat in game bags as you bone it out that way it keeps cooling. I always carrying a garbage for survival situations and for packign meat. I put the garbage in my Badlands 2200 if thats what i'm packing with that way i don't get blood all over it. then as everyone else said above just get it out of the garbage bag as soon as possible. Game Bags are a great tool. Find the horn Goose!

If you are packing out a quarter at a time keep in mind that black plastic absorbs heat from the sun. Even on a cold day, if you leave the meat sitting in a black plastic bag, it could spoil quickly. So make sure it stays in the shade.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-11 AT 05:10PM (MST)[p]Some garbage bags come treated with pesticides which might add a little bit of tang to the meat. Maybe they don't anymore with our current nanny government but I know they used to.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I used to use garbage bags as well. Never had a problem with it if you dont leave them in too long. But I dont like the thought of the meat sitting in blood without a way for it to drain and get air. If you have anything warm in a plastic bag, it will start to "sweat" in the bag. Just get some game bags for 20 bucks.

As I'm boning, the meat goes on rocks or a small tarp I carry. After it has had a bit of time to cool, it goes into a pillow case. When I'm ready to pack, I drop the pillow case into a garbage bag in the pack. When I get to the truck, it comes out of the garbage bag and pack. Once home, it is on racks in a cooler and iced until finished, wrapped, and in the freezer. I've never had bad meat from my animals.

We've had good luck with the Alaskan Game bags. We will usually throw the straps in with the front quarters and then throw the neck meat and whatever else we can get in a plastic bag. While I prefer to use the game bags so it can breath, I have never had bad luck myself with the trash bags, but like the others we try to get it on ice as quick as possible. Just remember time is of the essence!

This topic and the reply's are what make this site interesting and worth checking out. Thank's for the great question cartej & the great replys mmrs.

Game bags are the way to go IMHO. I carry and use plastics ones to keep the blood from running down my back,or keep it from getting rain soaked, or from soaking in a cooler of ice water. Cool air is the best meat friend. Ask any butcher.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom