Pack weight

For me 30 pounds and thats for a hunt in Oct so I pack alot of clothes. In the summerer when I go on 3 day scouting trips my pack is around 15 to 20 pounds. one way to greatly reduce the weight of your pack is buy one that is made buy a mountaineering company like kelty or gregory, hunting packs like badlands or blacks creek are way to heavy weighing 7 pounds or more. For the same cubic inches you can buy a backpack from kelty that weights 2 or 3 ponds and trust me they are built to last. I have packed out 8 deer with mine and packed in more camps with it than I care to count and it has not started to fall apart yet, I cant say the same about my badlands.

I bought a Badlands 4500 but have a Kelty also. I will weigh them I have a rem 700 mag a leopold rangefinder, nikon scope and a leopold scope (lighter),kelty 3 lb 0* bag, extremely light packstove, and a coleman 3.8 lb tent. And matches and personal items. I dont see how I can make it under 40 lbs. I could shave off maybe two lbs or so if I bought a Big Agnes tent and a Marmot bag. Other than that I guess I will man up cuz the money part would be a no. My gun is a Rem 700 7mm mag wood stock and a Leopold VX 3 4.5-14.5 BC reticle with good heavy mounts and rings.

not counting gun/bow or binos my pack weighs 28-38lbs The variance is water and clothes. For oct I take extra socks and gloves, and some extra underarmor. Areas where there is no water I take 100oz of water and hikes with lots of water I'll go in with 30oz of water.

My goal is to keep it under 45lbs on any trip under a week.
Availability of water is a HUGE factor.
Good luck.

I just did a four dayer in Wy and my pack was 38#. I was only carrying 1 liter of water. Before pulling the last big hill, I pumped 9 more liters of water.

Don P.

My pack right now for a 3 day'er is at 52# that includes 3 ltrs of H2O and my gun. I feel like I am a little heavy but I have packed for the worst conditions. This round I packed more food than I usually do. I have also packed a sleeping bag liner to go w/ my 25 degree bag. I know that I will not use all of it but incase I need something, I am prepared. Good luck. Smitty

I'd say 45 lbs is about the best you can do for an October hunt with a good chance of snow, including gun, bullets, rangefinder, binocs, spotting scope, and 2 liters of water. That is what my pack weighs right now and I want to toss something out, just not sure what I can afford to ditch. I'd like to toss out the gun, but I guess it wouldn't really be a hunt without that! I left out my video camera and camera, and will just carry my phone (8 MP camera with good video) with an extra battery. I use lithium AA batteries for headlamp and gps as they save some weight and last much longer. You could save a few lbs on upgrading gear, but would those 2-3 lbs be worth the $500 or more in money?

Water consideration and weather are huge factors as previously noted. I pack extra water and cache it along the trail on my way in. I also pack my water works filter as it is lighter then packing water. I do also carry water. I shoot for 40# or less.

I also use a Kelty frame that I have had for 33 years and counting. First thing I did was to remove the little rings that hold the pins in and replaced them with a full length piece of stainless steel welding rod. I made a "d" loop on the end of the rod that locks everything together on the top pin. This little modification really cut down on the noise.

I also like to freeze a couple of steaks and throw them in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Depending on the weather, they will store nicely for a couple of days, until you get fresh meat. Jerky is good to chew on during the day, but a nice rib-eye goes down real easy at night. I save the fat drippings for cooking up my pancakes in the morning.

Just weighed mine. Headed in for a five day sheep hunt. First pack horse was 60 pounds per side. Second was 65 pounds per side. The last one will have two hundred pounds of feed. I have it really rough lol. My hats off to all you backpackers!

Lol nvthrt! Along with your bedroll and stove. My bedroll for my hayburner weighs as much as my entire pack when I'm traveling light. Good luck on that sheep hunt.

Nvthrt- That is what I was thinking. We just packed in and each pannier was 79# plus a 60# top pack. Good job to all the back-packers out there. After back surgery, I don't like anything attached to my back.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I don't mean to sound all high and mighty, but I've done a fair bit of backpacking over the years and I've never weighed my pack. I just approach each situation differently and take only what I will need. My first backpack trip was a near disaster (even though I ended up taking a deer) because I didn't quite understand the lightweight concept. Now, I approach every piece of my gear very critically. After a while, you know what to take. Pack weight has never mattered to me, just an arbitrary number . . . I know, this probably doesn't help. It helps to really get into that lightweight frame of mind. I've had friends laugh at me for cutting maps and straps and pockets and such, but then again, whose laughing when we get a few miles up the trail?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom