Pack in cold camp

C

COarrowchucker

Im going to pack in on foot and cold camp a few days for archery season this year. Anybody have tips for tents, packs, bags, food, ECT? Even just your pack in stories... much appreciated guys!

Western Mountaineering Bag, Thermarest Neoair pad, and a super tarp. Should be able to do 3 days with less than 15lbs not counting your bow and water.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-12 AT 03:24PM (MST)[p]I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent, and a Big Agnes Lost Ranger Bag. Both are super light, and fit easily into a compression sack, with my Neo Air Pad.

Here's a good video article that will give you some idea of what to pack: hunting pack survival kit

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I will second the Fly Creek UL2 and Big agnes down bag. Throw in a good pad, a pocket rocket stove with titanium pot and you have your basic camp.
By the time you add food, knives, and basic day pack hunting gear and you will be in the mid 30 pound range for sure, but still very feasible.
Bill

One of the areas I hunt I used to pack in non perishable supplies during sumer scouting trips. They've got to be bear proof because those guys can find just about anything you leave. I left a couple of big cans of beef stew piled under a huge pile of rocks and was looking forward to some non freeze dried food a few years back, dang bears.

I know you are not supposed to cache stuff in wilderness areas but they do come in handy and reduce loads.

Do a couple of test trips this year before the hunt to sort and learn your gear. Doesn't have to be far in but will be well worth the time.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I have a pretty good packing list.
Randy Johnson, one of the best guides in the world developed it over the last 30 years.
It keeps weight at about 40 lbs.

You already have some great suggestions in this post!

Shoot me an email and I can send it on.

[email protected]

Does'nt "cold camp" refer to no cooking? Dont see a need for a stove.... Seriously 30lbs? 40lbs for a couple of days?

You can camp with next to nothing, so you can say you are under 15 lbs. But then reality sets in. What about water? Purifier (I know you can use drops), survival gear, knifes flashlight, food, extra clothes, pack weight, ect. The reality is if you are really good then 30-35 lbs will make you comfortable for 3-4 days. Most people without deep pockets will see 3-4 day trips in the 35+lb area.

With lightweight stoves and backpacking meals these days, cold food can sometimes be heavier than the freeze-dried stuff. You need water anyway, and each one of those meals doesn't require much water. It's nice to have a hot meal . . . If water is scarce where you will be hunting, then cold may be the way to go. I've packed summer sausage and those little cheeses wrapped in wax. Those will keep for a few days. Tortillas are good to go along with them. Jerky isn't as good as sausage IMO, as there is no fat/calories. It is salty, though, which can increase the water intake. Energy bars are a good bet. Take the wrappers off before and put them all in one ziplock bag, as this will cut down on trash and noise. Those wrappers can get noisey, and it's much quieter and simpler to just pull them out of the ziplock. I've gotten by with a 2400 ci pack for a few days packing as you describe. Using a sil-tarp will vastly decrese your weight in the shelter department. I've even packed mine and not used it, sleeping under the stars when the weather permits. These shelters can way as little as a pound.

I use a Jungle Hammock (has a rain fly, zippered mesquito netting and doors, pockets under hammock), stuffs to the size of a football at just a couple lbs and warm sleeping bag for the weather. Essentials are water purifier and empty water bag, pack stove, medical kit, extra socks, headlight, lighter, gloves, food (mostly oatmeal, Ramen and snacks). Still other extra items as needed but, the pack at this point is less than 40 lbs.

Smokepole

I've found that its about the same weight when you are doing more than 2 days with the stove vs. without. The weight of backpack food for a few days offsets my 3 oz butane stove + small canister. Plus then I have my coffee!

You will get many good gear suggestions but I would recommend considering your mental being. What is it you need to be in good spirits?

For example, I did a solo backpack deer hunt last year and brought my Ipod with book on tape. I didn't use it much- I'm good with the whole solo thing but it was nice when things got slow.

Different guys have diff req to be comfortable. I like the above suggestion of a test run. I used to be good on a bed of pine boughs wrapped in a wool blanket. Now, I really like my Trekker or Exped inflatable matt- to each his own. And nice to have my morning Java, 36# for 5 days [early archery]

3 days trips are very similar to 4-5 day trips. The difference is about 1 lb of food extra/day, and a little detergent to wash your clothes. Same clothing requirements as 3 days, you just wash them.

After you do 3 or 4 of these trips you will look in you pack and realize there were things that you didn't need. Then you can determine what you are willing to carry to be comfortable. You can get by with less sometimes, but you know what you are not willing to do without.

One thing to consider is, worst case you have to hike out light to get something in the truck that you thought you wouldn't need. I always have extra gear in the rig that I won't pack in, just in case.

One thing I like to do is, pack my meals by each day in a one gallon ziplock bag. Inside that one gallon bag split your meals for the day breakfast lunch dinner and snacks, put each meal in smaller bags and stach in you one gallon bag. This way every meal is planned out and you don't need to pack extra weight of food you might not need.

Hangfire- good tip.

I sometimes make up my own packets of stuff like Grape nuts [vs oatmeal]craisins, raisins, pecans powdered milk and protein powder- just add water

Or you can customize like my 13 yr old son who thinks everything is better with choc chips.....and he is right!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom