over the counter unlimited bighorn tagi n montana

Happy,
Do a search on this forum. There have been several in depth posts on this subject in the past. Sounds like a pretty tough hunt - which I'm sure you expected. Good luck. Chip

there is a reason they are unlimited...

1. having to call in everyday to see if the season has closed is a real pain as there is no cell reception on the unit.

2. there are more grizzly bears than sheep.

3. steep, rocky, slippery, bring mountainering equipment with you.

Ive tried it twice, when I was alot younger and a resident.

There are sheep in those districts and I have seem 7 rams in one day. Six legal and one sub adult. An time 4 legal rams in one group. There are more sheep than the biologist think.

A find of mind saw 5 legal rams several years ago while goat hunting could have kill one he had had a permit. The following years he did not see any rams. I grew up in the country and it's amazing what is in there.

This is all I'm going to say.

Anyone personally know someone who got a sheep or guided a hunter who got a sheep in one of those units?

Curious if is like a land rush stampede on opening day to get into the unit or if hunters go in early and try to locate a sheep ahead of time for opening morning.

Looks like the unlimited units have consistently filled the quota in recent years in just a few days.

There are 5 unlimited areas: Area 300 which has a 2 sheep quota and a 10 day season, the season was close after 6 days of hunting this year. Area 303 which has a 2 sheep quota with a closing date of Oct 31, this area was not closed this year. I do not know if they killed one sheep or not. Area 500 which has a 2 sheep quota, no sheep were taken this year. Area 501 which has a 3 sheep quota and closes on the last Sunday in November. The quota was filled this year and the season closed the Friday before the last day. Area 502 which has a 2 sheep quota and one sheep was killed this year,this area closes on the last Sunday of November. Some years the area have closed in a few days, this is true of 501.

Why do hunters not kill sheep? The tag is unlimited and value of the tag is less than a drawn tag, therefore hunters do not value the tag and hunt less. I have had a tag the last 20 years and have not gone hunting in the last 3 years -- just buy another tag next year.

If one goes to this web site: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/harvestreports.html#special
there are some very interesting statistics for the years between 2001 and 2006. I do not think that half of the total was killed in those years

Crowds: The hunting areas are so huge that one could or should never see another hunter.

Sheep Numbers and location: I do not believe that the biologists know the number or location of sheep. Funds are very limited for ariel surveys and flying at 10,000 feet is very dangerous and biologists are demanding helicopters which are in shorter supply. Wolves have push sheep from Wyoming into the very rough country of Montana Beartooths were the unlimited areas are.

This is all I want to say. There are sheep there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom