Our National Anthem

M

moonlight

So, I just flipped the channel to Fox to watch game 1 of the World Series, and, unfortunately, just got in on it as the Backdoor Boys were being introduced to perform the National Anthem. I thought to myself, "Well, how bad are these fairies going to botch this?" They didn't disappoint in disappointing me. That was horrible! Why can't these idiots, not just tonight, but most all people that perform it at a big game, just sing the song as it was meant to be. This song is not open to interpretation as I see it. I know this has been posted before, but it just irritates me to see this song done in so many unspectacular ways.

"success Is Reason Enough!"

I totally agree I was just talking to the wife about this. These artsy freaks might think that they actually have the right to use freedom of speech to mutilate our National Anthem. But when they are challenged they sure will lean on the Constitition and say that it is their right. If we ever needed another amendment, it should be that the American Anthem should be sung how it was written. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

--Bill

It doesn't at all make up for the slaughter job on the anthem, but the lady in uniform that sang "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch set an example for how things are supposed to be done.

10-4 Right on guys. In my opinion that was right up there with Roseann Barrs (sorry about the spelling) rendition a few years back. I think it was disrespectful at best.

I, too am saddened by the way our anthem is sung at many events. I know I'm old but I still respect our flag and our anthem.

Phantom Hunter

Oh you bunch of old farts! lol ;-) Get out your fifes and drums and clap along if you want it sung the way you think it was "meant to be"! Mmy dad said the same thing, BTW. I just laughed. That's his opinion and I respect that. My mom thought it was great. She likes that kind of harmony type singing.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with that song being open to interpretation. If that song doesn't stand for freedom of speech then i don't know what does. And thank Heavens not all of us are the same and perform the song the same way every single time it's performed. I certainly don't want to hear the fife and drum version it was originally meant to be all the time. Why not jazz it up a bit? Music tastes change, different things appeal to different people, and people are all inspired in different ways. Look how Jimi Hendrix inspired all those hippies at WoodStock with his guitar version. Which, btw...is one of my favorite versions of The Star Spangled Banner.

So, while I didn't mind the BSB version, I will say that it really, really, really bothers me to hear cute little kids singing it and doing a horrible job. When someone doesn't even know the words it bothers me alot. I've heard quite a few really sh*teous renditions of The Star Spangled Banner sung by people who could not sing but were trying. They've just butchered it. That's what I don't like.

Oh, sure Jenn. Play the freedom of speech card!

I did not hear the BSB version. But really, the Star Spangled Banner is kind of a dull song "as is". Might surprise you guys how many people think America the Beautiful is the national anthem. Maybe it should be.

I agree with you Jenn, the singers should at least know the words.

"Jose can you see?
By Don's early light..."

Not the night Jose swam over. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom