Our Christmas Story

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's early Christmas morning and all is quiet, so I want to share our story with all my MM friends.......

My father, 85 (I call him Pops) has been in a care home for about 10 months. My two sisters and I visit him at least four or 5 times a week, and at least once a week I take him out for a drive. We usually go down to the marina and look at the boats comming and going. I put in his Willie Nelson CD and play his favorite song "On The Road Again".

My youngest sister and her husband are musicians and had scheduled to play Christmas music in the dining hall of the care home on Christmas eve day. They have done it before and the residents and staff really enjoy it. Pops always sits on the piano bench beside my sister.

Pops health took a turn for the worse about a week ago. It looked like he was going to die in the very near future. He was unable to get out of bed and take his seat next to Sue. And indeed he passed away while the music was playing.

I'm going to miss Pops dearly, but I will always remember that Christmas is a time of celebration and a renewing of life. That's the way he lived his life, and that's the way he died.

Merry Christmas everyone! I wish Joy and Happiness to you!

Eel

That makes for a tough Christmas. My prayers and good wishes go out for you and your family. Merry Christmas to you too. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-08 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]Eel, May peace be with your family as you go thru this holiday season. Our prayers for comfort are with you.

Its tough when your Christmas Stories involve the other end of the spectrum, but life's trials don't take any breaks.
Here's hoping you all have a very joyous and wonderful holiday season!
a*r

SORRY TO HEAR THAT MY FRIEND!!!

TOUGH TIMES FOR SURE!!!

YOU'RE HIGHLY RESPECTED AROUND HERE!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY & TAKE CARE!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

SAME TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY Rick!!!

TAKE CARE & GOD BLESS!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Steve - my condolences to you and your family. Remember the 85 good years your dad had and all the ones you had with him! It sounds like he was a good man and raised a good family who loved him - there is something to be said for all the attention he was receiving from the whole family right up to the end!

Have a Merry "Christ"mas this year - may His gracious blessings attend you all. You will be in our prayers.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Awww Steve, I'm sorry. If his son is any indication, he was a wonderful person as well. Sounds like you have alot of good memories and some especially sweet times as of late. I hate that you're hurting right now so just know you will be in our prayers. Thinking about you and your beautiful family lots.

Take care.
Merry Christmas (if not bittersweet this year) to you as well.

Jenn

Steve,

Sorry to hear the sad news my friend and you have my deepest. It's a tough time we have to go through when we loose the ones we love. Seems to make the holidays especially hard because of the memories made through the years but even though we loose those special people in our lives it's those very memories that cannot be taken away. I lost my Dad who was the best buddy I have ever had and early this morning I sat and thought about him and the other people that were a special part of my life and to me when I remember them it's kind of like being able to visit them again.

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and know your in my thoughts.

Jim

Steve,

So sorry to hear about your Dad passing at this time of year, I send my condolences to you and the family. He is at peace now and no more suffering.

Brian

im sorry for your loss! it sounds like you were very close and you have great memories together with him and your whole family!

merry christmas and may our hearts be filled with love and rememberance

Thank you all for the kind remarks. It is a great deal of comfort.

I was sitting here looking at some of the burial arrangements he had made and came across the head stone he had ordered back in 1999. It is made and engraved with:

"God is my Refuge and my Fortress. In Him will I trust"
Psalm 91:2

Pops was my hero!

Sorry to hear of your loss.
What a great thing your family members do for those folks!
You have our prayers and condolences and God bless you and your family.

Oakbuck

Eel... My condolences.... The best any of us can hope for is to have family like yours when we reach the latter years. Your dad was blessed in more ways than one.I'm sure he'll keep a campfire stoked for the two of you to share again... Terry

"God is my Refuge and my Fortress. In Him will I trust"
Psalm 91:2

That statement says alot about your father Eel. Sounds like he was a great man, and family was important to him. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time of loss.

Larry

>Pops was my hero!
>
>

And I'm sure in some respects you were his. The greatest honor you can pay him is to continue to live your life the way he taught you. My thoughts are with you.

Crap EEL, I too am sorry to hear of your fathers passing.

peace be with ya'll. and in each other find strength.

ELL......it is always tough to loose a loved one especially during the Christmas season. I am sure he knew that he was loved. God Bless you and your family.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

That's a great way to go. Surrounded by loved ones with some nice tunes playing, almost like he was waiting for that moment. Merry Christmas to you and your family eel.

eel, we had my 85 year old mother over today for Christmas. It's bitter sweet because I lost my dad in '06. Lots of tears and lots of smiles when we remember Christmas past. Cherish the memories you have of your father. God bless you and your family.

RUS

EEL.....VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR "POP". YOU SHOULD CELEBRATE HIS LIFE TO THE FULLEST.......THATS WHAT I DID WHEN MY "POP" PASSED DEC.14 2004.....CELEBRATE THEIR LIFE & TIMES.....YD.

Sad to hear eel. We lost our beloved grandmother a few months ago as well. It sure made the holidays tuff this year. I feel for ya buddy.....Ryan

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I am very sorry to hear that Steve. I know that the last few months have been hard on everyone but try and rest EZ knowing he is in a better place now and god willing you will see him again some day.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Eel,

God bless you and your family.
I lost my dad in 1984, and it's
a hard row to hoe.

YKDall's correct about celebrating
their lives. That's what they would
wish.

BFE's correct as well on his comment.
Couldn't agree more.

Larry

Hey Eel,

I add my condolence to what others have already expressed to you. It's tough losing a loved one during this time of year... however in some regards it's bittersweet as well. What better occasion to reflect on the life your father lived, and all the good times you shared with him than around Christmas time each year (no doubt you'll probably also do it every time you head for the hills I'm sure)?

On a greater scale, look at it this way... at least your father was truly able to "be home for Christmas." Can't ask for better timing than that. May you and your family find strength in each other, and most importantly from HIM whose birth we just celebrated.

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

EEL....I understand how you feel. My Grandmother passed away on Christmas morning in 1980.

Her last wishes were to be there on Christmas morning to see my younger brothers in their Christmas excitement. When the hubbub subsided, she simply was gone.

I wrote this that afternoon. Hope it helps.

"That Jesus Christ may come to you on Christmas morning early. And you and he shall sit awhile and view the hurly burly.
And when it's quiet and calm again and all the noise has past, He'll take you in his arms once more and carry you home at last."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom