OTC Turkeys

HuntinFool

I'm new to turkey hunting so I am looking for some advice from guys on here. I was wondering if you guys thought that decoys would be worth it during the over the counter season. For me since I am a youth hunter the hunt runs from the 28 or 29 of April to the end of May. Would calling be effective?

Yes to both questions. Decoys and calling can and will work. Don't over call and try and get away from the crowds.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-10 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]I wouldn't spend a whole lot on a decoy, you can actually get one for fairly cheap that is made out of foam and you can place it in a feeding or standing position. I use one and it has been effective for me many times, if I remember right it was under 20 bucks. Primos power crystal is a good slate call, but it is kind of hard to use, you need to keep it pretty scratched up to keep it sounding right. When I first started hunting turkeys I had a slate call made by Hunter specialties, it was really cheap, but it worked very well. I wish that I still had it but my kids lost it somewhere. Every time I see one I think about buying it, again I think it was under 20 bucks and it was very simple to master, If I remember right it was called the "Lil Duece." A box call is able to make a few more sounds and it will also carry further in windy situations. They are a bit more money, but if you are going to stick with it you will want to get one sooner or later. Where is your tag for? If you are in my neck of the woods I would be happy to show you a few tricks.

Southern Utah. IF you don't live down here I can still give you some tips over the phone or via email. Also buy a crow call, they are cheap and are an important locating tool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom