OTC Idaho

• Thread starter LongRangeBangin
  • Start date
nice buck ! what did you shoot it with ? mean looking break on that rifle

Ive looked into that gun, hows the accuracy compared to the WAY more expensive ones like barret? What about recoil?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-12 AT 05:46AM (MST)[p]This is the FCP model. I reload for mine (Lapua brass, H1000 powder) and have shot 3 different bullets thru it. No matter what bullet I shot, it shot everything AWESOME, just some stuff better then others. I have used SMK 250 grains, SMK 300 grains, and Berger 300 grains. I had a very hard time getting 300 grain SMK (Sierra match kings), so I finally made the jump to Berger which is what I shot this deer with. The twist in these Savages is 1 : 9 so I want to shoot 300 grainers out of it.
Recoil? IMO not much. My 14 year old son shoots it off hand and says its like a 308. (I agree)
The Muzzle blast? Everyone around knows someone is shooting a "Howlitzer". LOL Its loud!
The trigger on this version is very light. Lightest trigger pull I have ever pulled. I have a 300 Magnum set at 2 1/4 pounds and this is so much lighter.
The trigger actually cost me a larger deer earlier in the season. The trigger pull is so light, that if you bolt the gun hard, it sets off the safety part of the accu-trigger.
I was a victim of not reading the entire manual on the rifle, which stated "hard bolt action can engage the safety part of this accutrigger". I learned that the hard way. It did it to me on this buck too, but I just lifted the bolt up and down easy, and it fired as normal. Just don't get exctied and rack the bolt hard.
A friend has the Savage 338 Hunter Version(I think its called?) Its a tack driver, way ligthter then mine, and less expensive. Barrel heats a little faster then mine, but its a dang nice rifle for the money. I just didnt like the cheek plate, and I am left handed (but I guess I just could of taken the cheek plate off?)
I got the gun in July, so I was in a hurry to get it somewhat dialed in so I could get to shootn it. I have shot a 1 1/4 inch MOA at 300 yards with it a time or 2. Its impressive.

Heres what its capable of doing
6588033.jpg

If there is such a thing as good enough, when it comes to sighting in your gun I would say this is it! Nice!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom