otc blacktail

nvbones

I live in reno and am considering an over the counter blacktail hunt in california next year. I was wondering if archery or rifle are better tags. which units are decent. I would prefer not to have to drive up to redding to do this hunt. I have been to bullards bar res. and it looked like good country but very thick. What are the tactics used, just spot and stalk or still hunting? Does hunting around the reservoirs work? any info would be greatly appreciated

If you want blacktail, rather than hybrids, you will need to go west of I-5. If you are happy to just "shoot deer", then save yourself the drive and look to some of the high elevation archery hunts. For a guy who doesn't otherwise have a place lined out, this is ideal. Hunt near Reno, get after them while they are red, in the open, and easy to spot. Some of the tags south of Reno still allow archery and rifle on the same tag.

You guys rock thank you for the info. Im leaning toward doing an otc idaho hunt this year. I just dont know if i have the time and resources to make the ca hunt worth the nonres lic. and tag.

I am actually thinking about go to idaho and hunting this year as I have a friend that moved up there and I could stay with him. This would be my first year though how hard is it to pull a tag there can you get over the counter tags also how much do they run ?

It really depends where you put in for, but they do have otc for whitetail and muleys. And some of them are some great hunts. I lived in the northern part of the state for 4 or 5 years. Ive never hunted the south end of the state where its more like high desert. Where i hunt its heavy timber and canyon country with lots of ag at the top of the canyons. The canyons can be rediculously steep but most people arent will to go down in them. Prices are comparable to CA non res tags i believe. $400-450 roughly, for lisence and tag.

thank you, yeah I would look into hunting the north portion of it since i would be staying with a friend and he lives like 30-45 minutes away from washington and fairly close to the Canadian border

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom