oryx taxidermist

B

buku

I drew an oryx tag in New Mexico and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good taxidermist. I care more about the quality than the price. I am looking for the best taxidermist I can find regardless of price.

Any particular area or state? Several come to mind; Sam Raby is one in the SLC-Provo area.

Roy Cogburn (Roy's Taxidermy) is the best. He's in Tijeras just outside of Albuquerque. I think he charges somewhere between $1,000 and $1,200, and his turn around is about 2 years. But he does incredible work, especially on oryx. Another one is Bill Bowen (Wilderness Country) in Moriarty, NM. He also charges $1,000, but I think his turn around is quicker. The Gallegos brothers in Santa Fe do awesome work (I forget the name of their shop), not sure what they charge. You can't go wrong with any of these guys. I'm sure there's plenty of others I'm leaving off the list, but these are the guys I can garuantee to do great work.

The hunt is for Jan. 1. I live in Mississippi, but I am picking up a friend in San Antonio. Anywhere close to the hunt or on the way to San Antonio or Mississippi. It is the Red Canyon unit. Does any of the taxidermist have a website. Do you guys think there is in quality difference between the guys you have mentioned?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-04 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]They will all give you top of the line work. Roy taught Bill and the Gallegos brothers. They are all national award winners in taxidermy. I think that Bill Bowen is the only one with a website.
http://albuquerque.unclewebster.com/lc/bus/1174/artistry.shtml

If you're not driving through Albuquerque, you might check some of the taxidermists in San Antonio. I do know that Shelley Morrow in Alamogordo and Manny Chavez in Carlsbad do very good work. I haven't seen a lot of their work, but what I've seen is very good.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-04 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]You mean like this?

url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=221353&c=500&z=1"]
221353.JPG
[/url]
Here's a closeup:

I heard there are butchers and taxidermists waiting outside the gate for business during the WSMR hunts. Is this true? Are any of them any good? I have a Rhodes Canyon hunt next month and am getting anxious.

I have used a Taxidermist in T or C which is located on I-25, just west of where you'll be hunting. His prices are reasonable, does great work, and has excellent turn around time, usually a few months. Contact me for more info.
Jeff

[email protected]

They are and I had mine done with one of them. Felix Gomez out of Jemez Springs does a great job on mounts. He always has some samples with him. I should get mine back in a couple of months.

Also a processor was a guy out of Alamagordo. He said he was the best sausage maker in the state. I had mine done with him and he did a great job. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
I just can't remember his name.

Are you talking about Roger Schoolcraft (taxidermist/processor)? Last I heard, he took everybody's half deposits and heads, and left town. That was a couple of years ago, and I haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the help. I am going to use woodburytaxidermy.com in Texas. They do amazing work and they are on my way back home.

If it is not to later there is a taxidermy in Moriarty, New Mexico, West of albuq, that does a really good job, it is called Wilderness Taxidermy and Sporting Goods.

Joel Edwards from Edwards Taxidermy in the Silver City area does excellent work. He takes lots of pride in the work he puts out. He was a little more expensive than others that I looked at, but well worth the investment. You may want to call him and find out if he'll be in the WSMR area during your hunt. His phone number is (505) 537-5536.

Good luck on your hunt.

As someone who does my own work, and my father was a taxidermist for 50 years i can tell you this. If anyone tries to charge you more than 25% more than what the average deer head cost you are getting ripped off big time. The cost for the supplies is only slightly higher due to the uncommon form, and the time involved to actually mount one is the same as a deer.
Some crooks will try to pray on you for more money because it is a "once in a lifetime" animal, but dont fall for it. find someone reasonable priced that does good work. Just because your tag cost more dont let the thieves think the mount should as well. I could mount one for anyone here for 350$ if i had the time and i would still make a killing doing so. However i will do my own and my buddies. Hope you guys dont get suckered by anyone. If anyone at the gate tells you a huge price, ask what he charges for deer and ask why the price difference. If he has a huge price spread tell him what YOU will pay because you know what i told you.
Then come back here next week and let me here his excuse why he needs more money to do an oryx over a deer.

Here's why oryx cost more than deer:
An oryx form costs over twice what a deer form costs, and being a lot bigger, the shipping of that form is more. Plus, there are very few sizes in oryx forms, so more often than not, you have to do a lot of alterations to the form (unlike deer that come in every shape, size and pose you want). Tanning costs, whether you do your own or ship it out, is over twice as much. These bull oryx have skin over an in and half thick, and it takes a long time thin that skin down.
So, you pay for all the materials $120, and another $120 for tanning (those prices include shipping)if you tan your own, you're looking at $20 in materials, and 5 hours of your time, you're now making $110 for mounting an oryx. Average time is 12 hours for an animal like that (if you send your hide out), (caping, salting, form prep, mounting, and finishing). Now you're making less than $10 an hour, and that's if none of that money goes towards shop rent, electricity, etc., etc. So now you're asking taxidermists to make about $6 and hour. That's insane. I have no intention of working every night until midnight (like I do) for $6 an hour, and nobody can make a living off it.

Oh, and another difference is pulling the horns off the core. You can add another hour for that (pulling the horns, clenaing the cores and skull plate, and bondoing back in place). You don't have to do that with deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom