Oryx Rhodes Canyon Feb 12-13

CDub

This hunt is coming up on us fast now, and I wanted to see if any MM guys out there could help me know what to expect.

I am flying into El Paso the day before the hunt. How far is it to the WSMR from El Paso? Which town/motel should I stay in? If successful, where should I take my meat for processing? Will they ship it to me when finished? Should I leave the cape with a local taxidermist? If so, any recommendations?

What is the terrain like? What is the best way to hunt these animals? Any tips on trophy judging?

Thanks in advance for your help.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-05 AT 04:39PM (MST)[p]
Well, i just got back from my hunt. Heres a few things i can tell you from what I learned in 2 days.
One, if you get one the Butcher that works at the gate is a real nice guy. But when he quotes you a price ( $.75 per LB) be aware that is hanging wheight. We were a little surprised at our bill. So 2 things can come into play with what i will tell you that can save you money.
One, I hunted the mountains and we got 2 for 2 on trophy bulls. You may see less animal there but they are easier to spot and the cover allows better stalks. Two, if you hunt where i did you can save a ton of cash by boning the meat out before taking it to the butcher. You will not drive up to get it in that country but i think it allows less pressure, so at least quartering is needed so if you go that far bone it out!! I took him quarters with the bone in and it still cost us 250 for both.
Three, for some reason we both only got one pack of tenderloin each from him,(should have got 4 ) check when you pick up your meat to make sure there is more than that!
The area we hunted was as described..... From the orientation building head west towards the mountain to the next main asphalt road.. Hwy 7 or 9 i think. turn north (right). after maybe 3-5 miles (look at map when you get it) and take the road that on the map heads up and over the mountain. Dont be afraid to go up fairly high, these things will hang up there and we got ours at least half way up the larger mountains. thats one spot, the other spot was the next main road that crossed the mountain north, maybe 8 miles further north.
You will not see crap if you dont get out and glass. Road hunting works but you still need to get out, turn off the truck, and get on the cab or bed and glass on high spots.
We did see a lot of tracks along the large lava flow mid-day and blew one stalk but they were bedded by then. I would hit the mountains mid day at least... because i feel you will have better luck glassing up bedded anumals in that type of terrain.
Just what i found out. hope it helps. Oh yea, and take something that shoots far and hard, i got mine at 500 yrds. the mountains can lead to some long shooting as well. PM me if i can help you any more.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom