orxy stallion range

time2hunt

From reading all the post old and new everybody seem to have been drawn for the rhodes canyon hunt. Has anyone been drawn or know anything about the stallion range any info would be useful.I have the Nov. 19th-20th hunt,I'm also looking at trying to draw a late deer tag since we are drive from Washington state might as well get two hunts in one trip, are the late hunts impossible to draw.

>From reading all the post old
>and new everybody seem to
>have been drawn for the
>rhodes canyon hunt. Has anyone
>been drawn or know anything
>about the stallion range any
>info would be useful.I have
>the Nov. 19th-20th hunt,I'm also
>looking at trying to draw
>a late deer tag since
>we are drive from Washington
>state might as well get
>two hunts in one trip,
>are the late hunts impossible
>to draw.

As long as you can shoot you should be able to kill one.I took a 34" inch bull two years ago and saw a bunch of them.Last year my sister drew an antelope tag on the range in which an oryx hunt was going on at the same time.We counted close to 40 in the two days.I would recomend shooting a 30 caliber or bigger.Weather will also play a factor in your hunt if its cold and windy they tend to move less.Range road 5 and 7 are the two major roads through the base with a bunch of dirt sideroads you can take.As far as your deer question check your proc.If they're is a deer hunt close to your hunt put in for it i think its alot harder to draw an oryx hunt.Maybe this year luck is on your side... later

thanks for the reply, Will be shooting ruger #1 in 375mag should do the trick I hope,for deer I know its a gamble on the draw but you never know until you try.Been lookin at those northern units,they come highly recommended but with harder draw odds I bet.

Time-
My buddy drew that Dec hunt this past year. He was told (by G&F)not to be picky anymore, but to each his own.. He shot a small one 30 minutes after the meeting. Of course if I was coming from out of state I would probably be picky.

The first day probably be a little picky, 2nd day watch out, Are they giving to many tag out and over hunting it.Or do they just want every buddy to fill a tag.

I drew the same tag. Thanks for the post. The Stallion Range looks like an awful lot of country to cover in 2 days with no scouting. I am pretty excited though. I don't want to shoot the first one I see but from what I have been able to gather, that might not be a poor decision. Certainly don't want to come home empty-handed! I wish it was a 3-4 day hunt.

Does anyone know about how to take pictures, taking care of the meat properly, and what the best thing to do with the pelt is?

Time- They are hammering them real hard to get the pop down. I hope they dont try and just wipe them out but the way things are managed in this state (ibex) it is anybodys guess. I would say truthfully anything 35 or above would be good but that is me. When I went on my hunt I missed a nice one around 38 and since I had a one day hunt I ended up taking a 30 incher with about 2 hours left in the day. I wish I would have had atleast a 2 day hunt.

Arizona- As you are probably aware dont even think about having a camera in your rig when you get to the gate. I wouldnt worry about not being able to scout before the hunt. You will run into animals. One thing get away from the crowds after the meeting.

nmelk13

Arizona,Ive been on five on range hunts and every time there is usually two taxidermist outside of the gate waiting for your business.They will be glad to hold onto your camera till the hunt is over.Take a few coolers.Once your hunt is done you can go outside the gate and snap pictures in a natural setting .And for a fee the same guys will hang your animal,skin,quarter and cape it.you just put ice and trasport.If someone is going to do your taxi work.just let them know you have someone in mind or you could use their services.... later

Thanks for the help. Any idea on how to get through the next 8 months of waiting? I am trying not to think about it but it hasn't been easy so far. Hopefully i will forget in a few weeks then get a reminder about 2 weeks before the hunt. The waiting is torturous! Thanks again. AB

I hunted the Stallion Range in 1/2004. I saw lots of oryx. They seemed to like the foothills to the east & to the south. Like the other posters have said----forget cameras, beer-----You'll be CHECKED at the gate. Besure to have proof of insurance in your truck. Also wear your orange vest AT ALL TIMES while on the range.

PM me if you want any more information. CB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom