Orthotics for plantar fasciitis

Roy

Been having a terrible pain in my left heel, especially the morning or afternoon after exercising. The symptoms seem to point to a classic case of plantar fasciitis - I have an appt. with a podiatrist and I do plan on buying a couple better pairs of shoes too and will research that in depth when I get to that point. I am hoping to avoid any major procedures and pain by using over-the-counter orthotic inserts in the mean time.

Any suggestions or experiences on brands and products?

HOOK 'EM!

Good idea about buying a high quality pair of shoes. Your podiatrist may suggest that a proper set of orthotic supports may negate the need for those expensive, but sometimes necessary, shoes.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Stop exercising?? Drink more beer?? Problem solved ;-)

Seriously though hope you can figure something out so yer not in pain...

~Z~

Thanks Z but I think the "stop exercising" part is what got me here in the first place. Too much "weight bearing" time on my feet. I guess I could blame it on all those squats, deadlifts, curls, and powercleans I did back in college football.

HOOK 'EM!

Just went through the same foot issue. It has taken six months but I'm now pain free.

Bought better running shoes. Go to a running store and get some advice.

Switched to treadmill for six months ( less pounding )

Stretch my calf and foot muscles at least four times a day. You can find ways to do it anywhere.

Keep a frozen bottle of water at home to roll around with the bottom my foot after each workout. You will feel where the inflamation is located by the pressure.

After icing roll a golf ball under foot seems to break up the inflamation. You will feel where the injury is worst.

Try to grab carpet with your toes while sitting. Strengthens foot muscles for support.

The mornings were the worst. Used my thumbs to massage the bottom of my foot every morning in the shower. Once again you will feel where the injury is located and can concentrate the pressure there.

Got this routine from some friends that are long distance runners. It seemed to take a long time but I continued to workout through the proccess and the pain is gone.

Good Luck

Thanks Blue Goat - yeah massaging the foot this morning in the shower was the only thing that got me walking again without a limp. Just did some flexing exercises too and had to walk to the other end of the building, wasn't nearly as bad as earlier in the day. Keeping pressure on it seems to help too.

HOOK 'EM!

>Thanks Blue Goat - yeah massaging
>the foot this morning in
>the shower was the only
>thing that got me walking
>again without a limp. Just
>did some flexing exercises too
>and had to walk to
>the other end of the
>building, wasn't nearly as bad
>as earlier in the day.
>Keeping pressure on it seems
>to help too.
>
>
>HOOK 'EM!

I had tried all the above and finally went to the foot doc and he tried to give me a cortisone shot and told me surgery might be in order. I then left with no cortisone shot, thinking what next. I ran into a friend who was a massage theripest , he said come see me I can fix that plantar facia problem. Well long story shorter, 3 visits later I was walking , running, hiking with no pain at all.. that was about 3 years ago. My opinion go to a good deep tissue Lmt Surgery and orthotics waste of money. I went through 4 different custom and store bought pairs only to find out it was all in my calf and quad and hamstring.. I hope that helps.

Do the custom orthotics the foot doc will probably prescribe. They're expensive if your insurance doesn't pay for them. $400 if I remember correctly. I'm about 95% better after two years.

None of the OTC helped me any at all and I tried them for several months.

Do a bicycle instead of running or treadmill. I really only got back on a treadmill 6 months ago.

Stay away from cortozne shots or surgery. There isn't much success with either.

It does feel the worst first thing in the morning, need to stretch it out.

Don't go bare foot or wear flip flops. I don't go from the sofa to the bathroom without putting my shoes on.

Had problems in both my feet for quite some time, very painful and debilitating at times. I finally had surgery on my right foot about 5 years ago. Tried everything under the sun, after a year it was enough. I just had my left foot done in May, the pain is gone. Here is what the Doctor will tell you.

Stretching, every morning immediately after you get out of bed, stretch your calves and do it several times a day.

Shoes, wear new shoes, never walk barefoot. Walking barefoot will allow the tendon to tear again which is where the pain comes from. It heals overnight, step down, start walking at it tears.

Strasburg sock, it is a sock that you wear when you sleep, keeps your calf stretched and makes you look like a tinkerbell. Very annoying.

Ibuprofen, or alleve daily. I was on 800 mg of Ibuprofen twice a day.

Have orthotics made that fit your feet. Costs a few hundred bucks but they replace your shoe insole. Very hard and uncomfortable.

Last, physical therapy and then surgery as last resort.

Ice your foot, right on the heel to take down the inflamation.

It is a long process even without surgery, good luck.

Good luck, don't wait because it generally will not get better on its own,

Rich

"Stretch my calf and foot muscles at least four times a day. You can find ways to do it anywhere". It does take a long time to get rid of it but it works.
This what helped me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+1 on massage therapist as well as the rolling over ice technique.

I have very high arches and have fought fasciitis for the longest time.

I recommend lightly taping the arch area with athletic tape, and also look into getting a set of Superfeet right now! You usually can find them at any outdoor store, such as REI and Sportmans' Wearhouse. They run about 60 bucks a pair, but they work so well I now use them in my work shoes, my cycling shoes and every dang one of my hiking shoes!

Clearly, we need a geriatrics forum.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Sounds like a couple of different problems discussed. Some describe injury related problems, others a more chronic structural problem. I found the custom orthodics and a few exercises to made the difference for me, but in my case I know I was dealing with a chronic, hereditary problem.

>Sorry, forgot the link: www.superfeet.com

Thanks Lisa! Looks like I will be making a trip to Run-Tex, needed to go there anyway to get the running shoes.

So far, the exercises and the stretching have helped the most. Still a little sore, but better than Wednesday morning after Tuesday night church ball - could hardly walk.

Just understanding what the problem really is and what causes it helps too. I thought that I had a stress fracture for sure, but I am 99.9% sure it is plantar fasciitis.

HOOK 'EM!

>Clearly, we need a geriatrics forum.

Well it is more of a weight (or an overweight problem in my case) than an age problem.

Now when Kilo and Eel discuss ED and incontinence, yeah, we need a geriatrics forum for sure.

HOOK 'EM!

Right this very moment I am having right foot problems and getting xrays this Monday along with going to a Pod. after that.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom