oregon sheep tag

K

KBKILLER

well my cousin pulled one of the best tags in the state. E John Day River. just seeing what you guys think about my choices for him to use for guns.

we mostly bowhunt, but i do a far amount of out of state hunts with rifle.

him using my 300 wby- my go to killer
him using my 240 wby, custom built tack driver
him using his old 30-06 stock ruger 77 ( which he hasn't shot for a yr or 2)
i doubt he will give this once-in-a-lifetime tag a chance with his bow.

what do you think? is that 240 to small?

I think I would go with the 300 or the 30-06 - whatever your cousin shoots the best. The 240 Weatherby appears to be a marginal at best for for sheep sized game beyond 200 yards.

Congrats and good luck to you and your cousin on his sheep hunt!

Horniac

He should shoot whatever he shoots best. If the 30.06 is what he is used to that is what I'd use. Sheep aren't hard to kill they are just hard to find. 240 w. a good 100 grain bullet like a Triple Shock would work just fine. He might not be used to the recoil of the 300. I've seen guys screw up expensive hunts by using borrowed rifles instead of their go to rifle. Just my 2 cents.

i'm kinda agreeing about not using the 240.

about the using a borrowed gun:

he's a bowhunter, he does own a 30-06, but hasn't shot his own gun any more than my gun. so any gun he picks, he has to start shooting alot with it. and my guns are set up a heck of alot better.

If he's not a rifle hunter my guess is he's not going to be comfortable with the recoil of the .300 Wby so I'm guessing the .30-06 would be the way to go. .240 a little marginal IMO.

But everyone is different so time at the range will tell the tale.

I'm very jealous BTW!

;-)

My 257 WBY did fine on a California Bighorn. Use whatever he shoots best at 400 yards.

Several buddies of mine and I shoot elk here in Colorado with our 257 Wbys. 100 grain Triple Shock. No problem if we do our part.

As you know long range shooting (400-600 yards) and big bore rifles (30-378)are the rage.

I have killed two sheep, numerous mule deer and several antelope with the .240 with the 100 grain Partition bullet. I like to get wihtin 200 yards. With that said, I killed a Dall sheep at 340 yards. The guide thought we better take the shot. I killed a deer with one shot at 280 yards it did not even flinch. The .240 has fantastic ballistics, 8 inches of drop at 400 yards no hold over out to that range.

Shoot whatever he feels comfortable with and he is accurate.

Good Luck and post pictures, Congrats.

thanks everyone. it's been a dream of mine to go on this hunt( except in my dream it was ME with the tag:) ) but this is going to be fun. i'm going to make sure it's a hunt we remember forever. AND I WILL POST PICTURES!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom