Oregon deer herd estimates

lostinOregon

Very Active Member
Take a look at ODFWs estimated mule deer numbers. Most of the units don’t have a hunt-able population in my opinion. Yet they are still awarding thousand of buck tags and some doe tags. This is nuts.

7501D0B0-F4B1-48AE-9CDA-609318D59C11.png

Take a look at ODFWs estimated mule deer numbers. Most of the units don’t have a hunt-able population in my opinion. Yet they are still awarding thousand of buck tags and some doe tags. This is nuts.

View attachment 152663

They are below objective for sure but that has zero to do with hunting. The only doe tags they give are for blacktail, whitetail and very few mule deer in ag areas. Oregon has a huge predator problem, there are still plenty of bucks on the landscape breading does and from what I've seen is some of the lower-density units there are very good buck to doe ratios even though ODFW doesn't show that.
A lot of their numbers are total BS, they are doing piss poor surveys. Almost every doe I've seen the last few years has had twins, by mid summer they have zero babies. We have had some really easy winters on our deer herds, good summers with lots of moisture as well.
Cats and Coyotes are whats killing Oregon deer numbers, lowering buck tag numbers will do nothing to stop the decline in deer numbers, all it will do is make is so there are less hunters in Oregon which is exactly what our state wants.

Back
Top Bottom