Oregon Bighorn Sheep tag......?

S

snag

A real good guy I know drew his first and maybe only sheep tag this year. The unit is the Lower Owyhee here in Oregon. If anyone has hunted it or knows the unit I would really appreciate any help that I can pass along to this gentleman. He is in his late 60's and in excellent shape. So I'm sure he will be making several scouting trips. I'm just trying to help him narrow down the areas to look at. Thanks, David

Snag, a friend has hunted twice in the past helping other folks. Not sure if he was upper or lower. I'll do some checking for you. JB

Snag,
I had the Upper unit several years ago. It is different than the Lower, but spend alot of time glassing feeding areas adjacent to escape terrain. OR G&F was real helpful, speak with the biologists who work that area. A 165" + ram is definitely doable.
Good luck on the greatest hunt you will ever have. You overcame incredible odds, so don't shoot the first thing you see. Learn to judge rams, and glass from afar. If you don't bump them, they will stay in the same general area for a day or two and you can always go after them later if you can't find a better one.
Take the whole season to hunt and spend as much time scouting as possible.
If I had the tag, I would scout several times 3-4 weeks before the season to really learn the area and where you plan to hunt, then spend the week before season scouting and have the whole season to hunt.
Take quality glass and spend most of your time picking apart the hills.
Good luck and post pictures of the hunt.
WyMo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom