optics

H

hunt4130

My binos got jacked somehow, im sure out of my truck when it was getting fixed. I'm looking into some vortex furys, let me know if you have liked yours or any recommendations will help.

Mike

Probably nothing new but look at several brands/models of the "best you can buy" and do so LATE in the evening and outside the store. You've got time before season.....use that time to look in bad weather (now's a good time to test binos in Idaho) as well as good.

Stretch on the price as much as you can.....won't need to buy another next year....unless they get jacked again (sorry, couldn't resist).

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Terrific advice by gb22.

Stop thinking Vortex.... as that brand is hyped.

How bout Kowa, Minox, Zeiss Conquest, Leupold, Meopta, etc.

The Kowa Genesis 8/10 x 44 bino is an exceptional buy.

I bought the fury 10X42 last year. They are a great binocular overall. I was looking in the $300-$400 range. I ended up getting a $50 rebate and I think I paid just over $300.

The buying experience was great. A sales rep met me near my house. He even offered to meet me at a near by mtn range to test the different models in the actual setting I would be using them.

I compared them to the MonarchX by Nikon, and the older Monarchs. Also compared them to just about every other brand in the price range.

The monarchX had slightly better construction, the glass seemed to be identical when comparing in the store at about 80 yds. the older Monarchs were the same price and the Furys were better. The new MonarchX costed more, and were slightly better but not enough to justify the extra $$$.

The only complaint I have with the Furys is the eye cups could be built a little better, but then again they are very comfortable and I can glass all day without eyestrain.

I had a pair of Swarovski 10X42's stolen years ago. It is hard to compare other glass to them. They were the best glass I have ever owned. I can't justify the price now.
Hope this helps with your decision.

I ended up chosing the Furys for their price, glass quality, and warranty.

I have the Vortex Razors. Love them. I think that you need to look through as many as you can in different lights and pick what fits you best. I will say that I think the better you can afford the happier that you will be. The upper glasses are worth the time to save.

One more thought......think about the type of protective cover for the (in particular) the eye pieces.

They are facing upward and it's easy to have all kinds of crap get on them. Even Swarovski is useless when the lenses are scratched, which will happen sooner if the lenses get dirty.

It almost sounds funny to say pick the bino because of the lens cover; so I won't go THAT far....but consider how realistic (and effective) the protection is.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON May-02-10 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]Good point gb. I rigged the 1 piece eye cover on my Furys to come on and off. It dangles there when not covering the eyepieces with a zippie tie. The other side of the glass has covers similiar to the Swarovskis.

EDIT: I am not trying to compare them to the Swaros. The Swaros are much better glass. The biggest difference is in low light conditions. I struggle to justify paying 4 times the price for 10 more minutes in the morning and evening.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom