optics question

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-12 AT 08:33AM (MST)[p]Another thread made me think of this and figured the campfire might be the place to ask, since I'm most comfortable here.

Walmart and other pharmacies sell those cheap 1.5X or 2X reading glasses. I've never used them but got to thinking, what if you bought a pair of the 2X glasses and used them with binoculars. It would effectively turn say a pair of 8X binos into 16X? Would the quality suffer? Would it make holding the higher power steady easier? Couldn't I turn my cheap Tascos into 16X super binos?

:) these are the kind of things I think about after an all nighter out boozing it up. ;-)

Edit: before the optics snobs start ripping my a$$ think about it

Wish I would have tried that before I bought my binos

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

When asking Optics Questions make sure & Talk to CUPSY & REDDOG!

According to them,there are only 2 Choices,one is 2.5K & the other is 3K!

Man-Up NVB!

You ain't takin it all with you!

Besides,When Ms NVB takes 'Her Half' I'm sure I know who's gettin what 1/2!

6441presidentialdebt.jpg

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

>Never mind.

What he was going to say is that during his dating years he would always insists his date wore a pair of 2X reading glasses prior to scoring a home run. He found that the women would laugh a little less hysterically later in the evenings.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Well if you can think about such things after boozing it up all night, you apparently have some tolerance...

Theoretically it would work. In practical application, it would not. To get the maximum magnification out of the reading glasses, you have to have a correct distance from what you are looking at. In the case of binos or a scope, it would be the focal point of the image. The eye relief would have to be much greater then it is on your optics to pull it off. Doubling the magnification takes you past the effectiveness of the original optics anyway. That is why people buy the $400+ Swarovski doubler and shortly thereafter try to dump them. Though they keep selling notwithstanding the bad press, so someone must like them.

What if you put the glasses in front of the bino's?? LOL!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

It has worked so well for Swaro I think I see a real marketing opportunity whether they work or not.

If I buy the 2x glasses from the dollar store, paint them camp color, and market them as "Binocular Doublers" I could get on that Sharks
TV program and sell them an interest

I could be the next millionaire. Who cares if they don't work?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-12 AT 08:04PM (MST)[p]I wear 2x reading glasses and I only see 1/2 as good through my Leicas....sorry to drop a deuce on your theory

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom