Optics Advise

B

BradinTn

New to this site. I posted this question earlier on the Bowsite. Just looking for more information.

Here's the situation that I am currently in. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a flatlander from TN (State Employee), married with 2 young children. Obviously not a huge amount of cash. Previously, I have made 5 DIY elk hunting trips. I currently have a pair of Pentax WCP's 8 x 42 binos. On my last WY elk hunt a local guy let us borrow a spotting scope and it was very useful on the hunt. Also, I am very close to getting a moose tag in WY and a couple of good high country mule deer tags in other states. I would not classify my self as a trophy hunter. Just enjoy hunting the mountains of the west.

Here's the questions. Right now I can only afford to buy either a spotting scope or another pair of binoculars. Should I invest in a pair of better pair of binos (10 x 42), a spotting scope (15-20 x 60) / or a pair of higher power binos (15X or 20x)? Which should be my 1st priority?

Thank, Brad

If you like your bino's keep them and buy a scope. If you don't like your bino's, I would upgrade them first. I consider the higher power bino's as a specialty item and would buy them after I had bino's and a scope that I liked. I wouldn't buy the new bino's just to get the 10 power. You will be reaching for the scope as often with 10 power as you would with 8 power.

I also would advise the scope, you have a decent set of bino's the scope should complement your setup.

Coon

I also agree with 3Toes. I will add a good spotting scope is critical when hunting the western states. I use it just as much as my bino's. Make sure your happy with your bino's first and then get a good scope. In my opinion stay away from the high power bino's.

I would also like to add that I feel your choice of power for a spotting scope is kinda weak. I personally prefer a 20-60 power spotter. There are just too many times that you will need someting greater than 20 power to evaluate game. Hope this helps, fatrooster.

Absolutely go bigger. I have been able to view side by side in hunting situations swarovski 65mm and 80mm. Huge difference. 65mm is incredible but 80mm, yes its that important!!! Also I prefer angled over straight any day of the week. I could not decide for weeks and ended up with angled and have never regreted it since. No neck fatigue is huge when glassing for hours on end. Its hard to get that with straight. Just my opinion.

Scope for sure.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

Leupold Windrivers. Cant be the clarity for the price.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

I agree with most of what has already been said. I would also go with a larger scope. I have a Vortex Skyline that I bought from Doug at Cameraland, that has been great. I would also consider the Nomad as it is a 60mm and would fit into a pack easier.

The best advise I can give is to look through as many scopes as you can. Then buy a high quality tripod.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom