Optical difference EL vs SLC

B

Bullcanyon

I know it's been talked about in the past, but no one answered the question. Is there any optical difference between the two? I'm not talking about how one looked better in someone's eyes. I mean. Do they use different glass or a different coating for the two binoculars?

Thanks
Kris

Yes, I think different glass and coatings. I was trying to decide between the two last year. This was a year ago, my memory is a little foggy, but I think I remember the rep telling me that the EL's have the same type glass that is used in the Swaro HD spotting scopes, and it has more lens coatings. I had to stretch by budget but I chose the EL's and after an elk/muley hunt this fall I don't regret spending the extra money. They are both great binoculars though.

From what I have been able to find the differnce in the optics portion of the different models is in the lens coatings. The procedure used to make the SLC model has a warmer (yellow/orange/red) tone and the EL procedure provides a cooler (blue/green) tone. I have carried both for the last month and can only see the different tones in low light conditions with a background of near black and white (light to dense fog). The whites appear white with the EL's, with the SLC's they are slightly (very slightly) yelllow.

The EL's appear to provide more realistic or nature colors than the SLC's. They also appear to be brighter, but that is not borne out in the technical data provided by Swarovski. I see no difference between the SLC and EL in early morning and late evening viewing. While the 8.5X42 EL provided an extra 4 minutes in the evening and 8 minutes in the morning of clear glassing over either of the 10X42 models.

At least to my eyes the color tones of EL's provide a sharper more crisp image. I quess that could be described as similar to the HD spotting scope. Is is enough to justify the extra money. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks. I'm going to be buying a new pair before next season and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Kris

They used to be diffrent, but as far as I've been able to find, the "NEW" SLC's and the EL's are optically identical, the housing is only diffrence.

Heres one thing to consider that many over look and that is performance in low light conditions. The 7X50, 8X56, and 10X50 SLC's will out perform the 8.5X42 and 10X42 EL's because of the SLC's larger objective lens. Being able to see at early dawn or late dusk is an edge that got me a Bull Elk this year.

Twilight Factor is what the binocular industry uses to try and evaluate a binoculars ability to see detail in low light conditions. Because specific power usually provides more detail, the mathmatical function is slanted toward the power element.

As an example the 15X56 SLC (3.73 power to objective ratio) has a signifigantly higher twilight factor reading than the 8X56 SLC (7.00 power to objective ratio).

I felt that I had a couple of extra minutes of viewing through the 8.5X42 over the 10X42 even though the 10's had a two point better twilight factor reading.

I have never looked through the 7X50 or 8X56 but the technical data places them in the same range as either the 8.5X42 or 10X42. The 10X50, once again from the technical indicaters, should give you a couple of minutes of clear glassing over the 10X42 or 8.5X42.

Sorry for all the technical data and stuff, its the off season and I just spent a month trying to purchase "my perfect" binocular.

Let me throw another wrinkle in the mix. As we age our maximum eye pupil diameter decreases to around 5 mm at age 50 from 7 or 8 mm in our 20's. As we age we lose our night vision. An 8X56 binocular has a 7 mm exit pupil diameter, which means that 30% of the available light will fall on the iris of the eye and be useless to the individual, if that individual only has a 5 mm maximum pupil diameter.

From what I have read a normal adult pupil will measure 4 to 5 mm in low light conditions regardless of age. To optimize your viewing under those conditions you need at the mimimum a binocular with a 4 to 5 mm exit pupil diameter. Anything over 5 mm, is not going to help much. Where it will help is with a 7 mm exit pupil diameter it is easy for the user to keep his 5 mm pupil diameter in line with the available light under adverse holding conditions like a boat or unsteady conditions.

All of these factors are why it is so important to take the binoculars out of the store and see which one looks the best to your individual eyes.

I too have done quite a bit of research and you are correct that as we age our eyes don't go as wide as they should and that buying binos with larger exit pupil may be fruitless. Some of what I read about twilight factor is that it may be more about selling binoculars. Lens coatings and exit pupil gives you that extra few minutes and it is an edge that can bag you game.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom