Opinions on Scopes.

L

Lookin4Sheds

I have had vortex and don't feel they are good quality. There was always something wrong with it and had to send it back several times. I would love to get a Swaro or a Lieca but it isn't in the budget. Am looking at leupold, bushnell, and nikon. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking rifle scope or spotting scope. Also, Vortex has several levels of scopes. Were you using thier top of the line or a different scope?
Personally I like Swarovski but you can find quality with many scopes and name brands these days. Vortex has a great reputation and I'm kinda surprised that it kept breaking on you. Thats why I asked which scope you had.
When looking at scopes make sure that it has a great warranty and that the manufacturer has a great reputation at honoring it. Get a scope that has accessories that you can add to your set up. For example, with spotting scopes you want to get a namebrand that sells a cover, and digiscoping adapters. You might not digiscope now but may want to in the future. And it will make it easier to sell later down the road. Hope this is helpful, fatrooster.

I Love my Tasco Pronghorn I bought at Wal-Mart. Not as crisp as those $1,000 dollar ones but I only pull the damn thing out of the closet once a year and most the time I never even shoot it unless I see a buck. so why spend more? Im money ahead

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 09:30PM (MST)[p]But if your talking about spotting scopes I cant help you. I was told yesterday if it aint Sworo its junk. :)

Wow...so closed minded, i bought the pentax 65ED last year, they also do the 80ED, you can read the reviews for yourself they are 95% as clear as a 3K swarvo, or Leica....many opinions here but thats my 2 cents, as for rifle scopes you cant go wrong with either of the three you named, as for Leupold I have the 4.5-14x56 VX-3L, its 1,079 at cabelas and a very good scope, if you going the Nikon the buckmasters series are a starting poind i personally recommand the monarch series scopes, for the bushnell i have the 4-12x40 elite mil dot and love it, very clear crip and nice looking scope, bushnell Elite series is probably the best bang for the buck for a nice scope. If you decide to go cheaper with a tasco or simmons sure they look ok in the light but its when dusk approaches that the higher end scopes earn their keep, also on the lower end scopes you will fine the higher you zoom them out the less clarity you have. Im not knockin the scopes, we all have a budget and all scopes will get the job done in the end it comes down to how much $$ you want to spend.

I have the Pentax too and the lens options are amazing since they will accept any 1.25" telescope lens as well as a big selection of Pentax lenses who make the best in the telescope world.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

I can muddy the water if yo would like. This year we picked up a KOWA Spotting scope. We compared it against the best Swaro and it was better in brightness, clarity, and it beat Swaro's socks off in light gathering ability. It is not a lot cheaper, but it's a great glass. We sold two cheaper scopes to get one good one, but it is worth it.

I'll tell you when I can tell the difference between my swaro scope and the scopes I owned previously: After hrs of looking I'd go home with a headache from Heck. But with my swaro...I can spend alot of time and it doesnt seem to strain my eyes NEARLY as bad. I'll agree you look through some scopes and they look bright, clear, sweet...etc, but that's when I notice the difference. I'm not saying swaro's are the best out there as there is alot of nice spotters, I'm just saying I'm thankful I took the plunge and finally bought a quality scope.

Zeiss everything. Buy it through Cameraland ( NY ) when the demo's are for sale...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

The Pentax eye pieces are great. I had the PF ed 80mm and its a great scope, the Razor is a better scope. I also have and had a bunch of different scopes including Vortex maybe i am just lucky as I have had no problems that where not totally my fault and all the companies took care of the problems I caused. I do have various PST models and they have worked perfectly....but as i said I may be lucky as I have not had scope problems

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom