Opinion on Leupold

B

bucketmouth

I put this on the optics page, but not many go there.
I was trying to sight my rifle in for this upcoming season, and couldn't get it done. Last year I fell and hit my gun on the ground pretty hard. So I took the scope off, and found the main tube cracked right by the adjustment. the rings were holdng it together. Now it's in two pieces. Its a VariX-II 3x9, but from the 1960's. I sent it in, but wondering if they will repair, or replace somthing like that. What do you think?

I have a buddy who's leupold scope was purchased in 1969 and sent it in 2 years ago and they fixed it better then new......I was surprised that they still had parts for the thing!!

leupold???? Sorry dude, you have no clue! go buy a zeiss conquest or nightforce.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

I have a leupold that fogged after 28 years of service,sent it back & it was fixed & returned in less than a week.Great scope & great service!.....Jim

stinky, if your gonna buy a ziess why bother with the cheap one?

I like leupold, if they would get the erector tube to track consistently, i probley wouldnt own anything else. but for turret twisting they have a ways to go.

I bought my first Leupold 2nd hand. I eventually ran over it with a truck. They TOLD me they would fix it for free. I told them a truck was not their fault but they said they would fix it. After they got it, they called and said it was beyond repair.

They said for $40 they would replace it. It was the top of their line. I was very impressed.

I own Swarovski and Zeiss, as well as a LOT of Leupold optics. Leupold is real good...not quite up to the others but VERY good. Their service is 2nd to NO ONE.

They'll either fix it or will (probably) replace it.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Zeiss makes great equipment. They will NOT honor their warranty...no matter how much German you speak or with WHOM you speak.

I just bought the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 3x9 rifle scope. I recommend it to everybody. It also has a liftime guarantee and the cost is alot better. Cabela's will mount it and bore site it for you, providing you have a store in your area. If you don't have a store, either bore sight it yourself or take it to a gunsmith shop. I took my new rifle to the range after the new scope was mounted and had it zero'ed in 3 shots. I shoot a 7mm Mag, Ruger M-77 and I can put 3 rounds of 175 grain bullets in a paper plate @ 300 yards and that is no BS. I like the scope so much I'm changing out all of my old Bushnells. Oh I almost forgot, the field of view is huge and the clarity is awesome and they are very light and come with 2 screw-in lense caps.

-Eric

I'd guess you will be fine with Leupold's customer service.

I have Leupold scopes on all my rifles and a Leupold gold ring spotter. They have been excellent scopes and, when needed, the customer service has been exceptional. I had a horse kick a gun (stock) and a Leupold scope in half. Actually the scope was in 3 pieces. Sent it to them in a box and they had a new scope to us in a couple weeks. I ran over the spotting scope covers with my truck, called to ask where I could buy some new ones, and within 4 days they had sent 2 pair for free. I like the fact that their highend optics are made in the USA and the quality is high enough to meet my demands.

As for Zeiss; I broke my Zeiss binos on a hard fall and sent them in to customer service. It took over a month to hear from them, but they called with a tracking number on the new pair they had just shipped. I guess I can't complain, having purchased a used pair of binos, broken them by my fault, and receiving a brand new pair.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

>leupold???? Sorry dude, you have no
>clue! go buy a zeiss
>conquest or nightforce.
>
>
>
>
4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Stinky, I think your the clueless one....I bet Leupold's have accounted for more game than Zeiss and Nightforce combined...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I can honestly say none of you shoot extremely heavy recoil guns. I bought a leupold for my 338 378 wby mag un broke. It was a vxI. I couldn't get a group better than 8 inches with a load I knew was sub moa with a US optics scope. I then returned it to cabelas and got the VXII and same thing but the group was about 3 inches. I then went to the VXIII. groups were around 2.5 inches. Then I tried the VXIV and same thing. I then took the VXIV and clamped it in a vice and put it on 20X and centered it on a dot on the wall. I dry fired it and found that the scope had 0.4" of travel just from poor mechanics. I then tested my swarovski to find it had 0.5" at one hundred yards of travel again due to piss poor mechanics. I did this on down the line and found the absolute best scopes to be the following. Schmidt and Bender PMII, Nightforce, US optics, Zeis conquest series only, burris black diamon with posi lock. The worst scopes were swarovski followed by leupold. How did I know to do this??? Two separate people told me they were crappy scopes and how to prove it. The lead gun smith at mcmillan bros firearms and a very capable pair of marine sharpshooters. I never before thought scopes could be tested like this. I also have talked with numerous long range shooters and can rarely find any that will even consider a leupold or swarovski.Occasionally you will see a guy show up at a long range match with a barret m82a1 semi auto 50 bmg topped with a leupold VXIV. Talk about laughing stock idiot. First off the barret is only good for about 2 moa out of the box meaing it is junk. It only goes to show they have it topped with leupold. In short, only idiots with no clue on mechanical engineering have leupolds. Anyone ever work out the equations for the statics on the leupold erector rings????? From what I've seen they suck, but are simple which is why they are used. Anyways, please feel free to vice your POS scopes and prove me wrong. I can also say that anyone with a leupold scope who trys to shoot long range quickly forms the opinion it is unethical, and for good reason. Someone please prove me wrong. BTW don't say huskemaw cuz thats one scope leupold stomps all over.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

A VX-1 0n a .338-.378? You got what you deserved. If you can't get a rifle to group with a Leupold on top, maybe time for more practice. mtmuley

WTF???? QTIP just told me im a prick????

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so. I'm getting off late on a friday night only to be on standby all weekend so I can be a plick if I wanna be. I think qtip can just get over it.

Now if you will all please excuse stinkyplick I am going to go hide out the rest of the weekend. ROFL!

PLICK OUT!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Only idiots with no clue need a 50bmg to hunt. Goes both ways.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Ignore all the blather

Leupold is a darn fine piece of glass

0-1000 yards and beyond..

Their customer service is second to none and it's a company based here in the US

enjoy your scope and buy American made products as much as you possibly can...

LH

leupold make a "one off" vx 4 scope for you stinky ??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Strange......That scope I had for 28 years & still own ,is & always was on a 300 win mag.....Strange ....must be junk......WRONG!

I've owned Leupold VX3's & Mk4's, nightforce, swarovski, US optics, among others. All I own now are Leupold MK4's, for many reasons. From my experience, you can't beat Leupold's customer service. (BTW, comparing the cheap leupolds that cost a few hundred dollars to nightforces that cost nearly 2K, what do you expect?)

stinky, have you ever tried sightron? not the best optics but it will track with the best of them, if you had a tight budget.(their LR scopes not the 200$ jobs)

FWIW, my daivari V/MV has been a great scope, never had a problem with return to zero with it, and it is always settled for the first shot.

Honest to god, the best scope I ever had was a bushnel 3x9 40mm scope. I collected cans for 2 years to buy it and my first rifle. It cost me $18 at K-mart and never once left zero. I still have it and It's still holding zero and is exactly 21 years old now. The redfield wideview my father bought that year is the same. Heck all those scopes they made 20 years ago and later were way better than what we pay 3 and 400 dollars for today. Yes we had leupolds too and they were second to none. However, today I can't find a decent scope unless I pay through the nose for it. The only scope that's cheap that I personally guarantee is the bushnell elite 3200. That's an awesome scope under any condition other than crankin on the turrets for long range shooting. I'm not saying leupold customer service is bad, but I never once had a leupold hold up on my guns. I guess if you buy a scope for customer service then have at it. However, I buy a scope I can actually use and know will return to zero no matter how many moa I adjust it. Go to a shooting competition and please let me know how many leupolds you guys see. Go one step further and start talking good about leupold to those guys, I dare you. ROFL! just kidding, don't do it. They'll laugh you off the range. lol

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Hmmmm....I figured stinky to be much taller than that....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Go
>to a shooting competition and
>please let me know how
>many leupolds you guys see.
>Go one step further and
>start talking good about leupold
>to those guys, I dare
>you. ROFL! just kidding, don't
>do it. They'll laugh you
>off the range. lol
>
>
>
>
>
4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

How many hunters crank their turrets up and down constantly? How about perusing the record books and finding out how many used a scope other than the ones you "personally guarantee" LMAO!

2a0fcsk.gif

>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LMAO JB. Could'nt of said it better.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I have been a huge fan of Leupold for many years. All of my rifles have Leupold scopes and I have a pair of golden ring bino's. The few times I needed to send a scope in (reticle change) the customer service was outstanding. I can see no reason to ever change.

Jim

Its a damn good scope for guys who like to sneak in closer than 1/2 mile or so. Guys at the long range competition may laugh but most of them are way better shooters than killers anyways. You need to be both.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p]I like Leupold and am saving my money for the next scope I buy. You can't beat the customer service and reliability PERIOD. Sure, you may have some travel at great distances with high caliber rifles, but I guarantee you that I am going to be damn deadly with a 2MOA rifle at under 400 yards. As I have said before, for me anything much over 400 yards is probably unethical so I won't take the shot and since I will never be able to afford the ammo itself (let alone the rifle) for a large caliber like the Weatherby .338 or larger, I don't think the "travel" issues Stinky talks about apply to me.

That being said - I currently shoot a Golden Eagle .30-06 with a 25 year old Redfield Widefield scope that has a dent in it and I don't know what MOA it really is but I do know that every critter I have ever shot at with that rifle has ended up dead and in the freezer. That is good enough for me.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Unfortunately, I have leupolds on most of my guns.

I used to think it was something I was doing wrong when shooting my rifles at the range. I figured it was my rifle, my bullets or my shooting.

When you adjust the power on almost every leupold I have owned your point of impact changes on the bulls eye.

Also, when making adjustments on your scope they all adjust differently.

Like I said I used to think it was me until a friend of mine that shoots a lot took me to his range and proved it was my scopes.

Few years ago I bought a 2x10 leupold for what was to be my gun for everything. A HS precision 300 Win mag. I bought one of the most expensive leupolds they offered.
5 rounds through the gun I could tell the brand new scope was defective. Sent it back they replaced the insides. (very quickly great customer service) Another box of rounds through the gun, and the scope went back again (at $60 a box of ammo that pisses you off to re sight it in each time).

Same thing with a burris posi loc i bought for a 22-250 (almost no reoil). went back and they replaced insides after I shot less than a box through it.

That all being said, I still have leupolds on my guns for 2 reasons.

I do not want to go through the expense to replace them, and, for hunting they are adequate.
Adequate is the best I can say for leupold.
For shooting less than 400 yards they are just fine for most hunting situations.

I doubt I will be buying any more hunting rifles in the near future, but, if I could get my money out of that HS precision, I would get another rifle and top it with a Night Force.

Conclusion, Leupolds are okay for 98% of hunting situations, but, they are not very well engineered.

I think a few of you guys have no idea about how many records were shot in all shooting venues using Leupold scopes. I can tell you that the US Gov't has specifed them on quite a few contracts over the years. So they must have performed pretty well to be named on contracts for the agencies and branches of special forces that were using them. They have been building a quality product for more than a few decades and quite a few guns at Camp Perry that set records have used them. So I seriously doubt that they're as laughable as some may suggest and as poorly engineered as others have stated. When you build a product and guarantee it the way they have you're not building junk or you'd have been out of business a long time ago. NUFF SAID.

Here is the 200 yard target from my cheap Ruger M77 in 338 Federal topped with a crappy Leupold from Saturday. Clearly, the lousy optics will prove to the diffence between a miss and a kill.

range095.jpg

The smaller flyers are from the 5.56 which my daughter, being so discusted with the lack luster Leupold performance, chose to go with iron sights.

range096.jpg

498a6f395e505405.jpg

GOOD GAWD!!!

I THOUGHT WHEN I'D SAVED ENOUGH FOR A LEUPOLD I WAS BUYING WHAT A POOR BOY THOUGHT WAS A DECENT SCOPE!!!

I JUST USE THESE CHEAP ASS LEUPOLDS!!!

MY SMOKE POLE HAS BROKE SEVERAL SCOPES!!!

NOW THERE'S SOME CHEAP ASS BUILT SCOPES!!!

THE 600 GRAIN SLUG MAKES MUSH OUT OF THEM!!!

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Dont get to uptight. I only was giving my personal experience.
Like I said I still have leupolds on most of my rifles and they are adequate for almost all hunting situations.

>well i got a varix 111
>3.5x10x50 and love it

Danny

I forgot to tell you I dropped your rifle, out of the tall tree stand up at the top of the big oak tree, last december. Sorry.

Ransom

>Unfortunately, I have leupolds on most
>of my guns.

>Like I said I used to
>think it was me until
>a friend of mine that
>shoots a lot took me
>to his range and proved
>it was my scopes.
>

Never heard of anyone with so many rifles with bad scopes.

You must have bought all of the Monday Leupolds. My scopes point of impact does not change when I adjust the power or maybe my scopes just have good insides..

>Here is the 200 yard target
>from my cheap Ruger M77
>in 338 Federal topped with
>a crappy Leupold from Saturday.
> Clearly, the lousy optics
>will prove to the diffence
>between a miss and a
>kill.
>
>
range095.jpg

>

Well 1911 I don;t understand how you can tolerate that kind of accuracy at 200 yards.. Totally unacceptable. You better get in touch with NMPaul and get a better scope or at least one that has better insides. I mean with that kind of group you could be aiming for one of the animals eyes and miss it altogether.
Looks like it's back to the drawing board for you.

Jim

QTPIE IS RIGHT ON!!!

Well, if you're gonna be a prick, be an arrogant one.

JUST RAZZIN YOU NVB!!!

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

so it was u, u sorry sob, thats why it took me 7 shots to kill that last 4x4, remember pay back is a beach

>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Oh man d13. I'm still crying from laughing so hard. I just can't believe someone finally understands me.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

WTHeck, I thought I was an arrogant prick? sheez I better try harder. I will admit leupold will work for 90% of hunters that shoot under 400 yards, but I am not most hunters and when I say up 1/4" at 100 yards I mean exactly 1/4"! I just took my lapua out and checked its zero. I measured it to be 1 1/4" high at 100 yards. That meant I had a 200 yard zero. I adjusted it down 5 clicks and missed dead center by about 1/16". I know of no other scope like that. And when you shoot 1200 yards you have to have nothing less and leupolds will never be that good. PERIOD! In addition someone said the military specified leupolds to be put on some rifles???? That's hilarious that you think that makes them good. The military still buys M82a1 barrets and uses them as sniper rifles. They are anti material rifles and cant consistently hit humans past 1000 yards. They are only guaranteed to be 2 MOA off the factory line. So much for the gvmt giving leupold credit huh?????

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

>>
>>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>>
>>JB
>>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>
>LMAO JB. Could'nt of said it
>better.
>
>"A well regulated militia, being necessary
>to the security of a
>free state, the right of
>the people to keep and
>bear arms shall not be
>infringed."

[font size="22"]

+10000 d13er, Couldnt have said it better myself!!!:)

[/font]

Well, Stinky, you're right about part of your post.

I'm not 90% either.

guys, Leupold has won more matches than the the "new" guys combined

Schmitt and Bender, Nightforce, USO are great scopes and will do great things..

But Leupy does the same thing for a whole lot less cost..

check out the 6mmBR boards and snipers hide...

lot of long range shooters love leupy and a lot of them hate them..

there's 10Million of them out there compared to a few of the others..

couple of recent matches...

article on 6mmBr about Duane Capehart, big time long range shooter who wins consistently with a Leupold

For optics, Duane runs an older, 45X Leupold Benchrest scope (front parallax focus, 1/8 MOA target dot)
in very slick Jewell rings with precisely-machined floating inserts. Duane says these rings are worth every penny of the $100 price: "I'd like to have them on all my guns. You just put them on and forget 'em. They self-align to your scope, hold solid, and you don't have to lap them." Duane is very happy with the Leupold: "this old 45x is a fantastic tracking scope, when you adjust it, it moves just the way it's supposed to. I have three Leupolds and I also use Nightforce and Sightron. I've never had any of them that didn't track well. The NightForce on my Heavy Gun also holds its settings really well. It's a fantastic scope--just heavy. I would love to see a 22-ounce NightForce. On the Leupold 45X I use a 20-MOA base so I can reach 1000 yards and stay in the middle of the scope. I leave it zero'd at 1000."

woops only one, another PA match won by a factory rifle with Leupold on 06/29.. on the same 6mmBr board..

and I have more than a bit of personal experience with all four of the scopes mentioned above and just a bit of long range shooting.. I call bull.. Each and every one will do the job, it boils down to personal preference.. I shoot Leupold.. But hey that's just me.. I like all the others just fine.. And all of them have issues that need to be adressed from time to time also..

LH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 12:57PM (MST)[p]

Stinky, You are a bit arrogant but niave as well. A military sniper knows exactly how his scope tracks and allows for the deviations in it's adjustment ( lets call it job stability). I think that you'll have to concede that Gale McMillan may have been a better shot than you. It seems the FBI, Seals and other Gov't agencies seemed to concur on this since he instructed all of those agencies on shooting. Well he shot Leupolds and quite a few of his elite shooter friends that shot competitively did too. Now here's where you really seem to miss the point. In spite of the limitations of those that have to shoot Leupold scopes because of budgetary constraints most members of the Swat teams, special forces are most likely better shots than you or I. I've seen first hand how good these guys are and quite a few competitive shooters and I'll tell you In spite of all that practice and those technology crutches you use on a windy or a fair day these guys will shoot your ass off. I'm not saying that some of the products you mentioned aren't good because they are.

You have to realize that skill & experience can overcome the limitations on equiptment. Some of these guys shoot out of the box Remington or Savage or Winchester sniper rifles and just put em all in one ragged hole with Leupold scopes. Everythings relative Stinky but I saw a .50BMG dropped from a height of 8 ft onto a cement floor 4 different times on the scope ( the gun weighed 26 lbs) and then we went to the range to qualify that weapon. This was in the presence of military representatives as a reqirement of the contract. Gale shot a 5 1/2" 5 shot group three times at 1760 yards (1 mile) with one of those crappy Leupold scopes in conditions you would have been hard pressed to shoot a 20" group in, while in the presence of miltary brass. Those scopes were mounted on the Guns the Navy purchased from us for the contract and were in Desert storm and performed well in addition to other weapons made for other contracts. The guy became a multimillionaire building guns and the majority of them had Leupold scopes on them. Gale was renowned for building some of the most accurate weapons out there and his reputation certainly wouldn't be compromised with an inferior scope, especially when he had one of the most stringent accuracy guarantees in the business to boot.

So what's your point here? The guys in sniper school would laugh at you with your premise because they know that most of the scopes made today have deviations in their adjustments someplace in their range. As long as it tracks the same and holds it will work. It's knowing what the deviations are and adjusting for them is what gets the job done. Improvise and overcome ever hear that. How long do you think a sniper would live if he didn't know this or wait here's a better one everybody stop shooting because I have to get a reading on the wind from my kestral. Sticks arm up revealing position ... opps. Come on stinky you're smarter than that in any case insulting the equiptment that some institutions have to use to protect you isn't too bright or respectful. Especially when the majority of them can easily whip your ass shooting it and they don't seem to be having a meltdown over it. They know their weapon and know they can execute the shot. That's the #1 priority with any scope on any gun and yes there's better scopes made and a lot of agencies are buying more of them but in the end the majority of those rickety old Leupolds allow them to accomplish the task and complete the mission and isn't that what it's really about.

You don't need a Cadillac or a Mercedes to drive to the store you can do the same thing in a Chevy. Budgets today and yesterday don't allow for always getting the best out there but you're only kidding yourself if you think Leupolds don't work. The proof is in the fact all those guys came home from the first desert storm and other missions and if you knew a few of the guys well enough you'd get to hear about some of the shots they made and how the guns the company you worked for built for them worked in combat. They knew that what they carried would work when it had too and believe me that spoke volumes. The conditions they were in were far harsher than anything you'll endure on any of your hunts and they worked. So tell me how Leupolds don't work because I've heard hundreds of stories at Fort Bragg, Quantico, San Diego and on the Enterprise quite the contrary from the guys actually pulling the triggers and their superior officers and a lot of the shots were far in excess of 400 yards. Chris Agnew former VP. Marketing Director G. McMillan & Co. Inc.

Well, Boskee, it's obvious you know nothing and have nothing to back up your claims. :) (kidding of course)

Thanks man, that was priceless!

Yeah, ditto!

(400 yards is NOT a big deal....not with my Zeiss scope, several Leupold scopes or even a cheapo from Tasco.)

Well, I have been watching this thread for days, thinking it would just pass on into cyberspace and be gone.

I pretty much thought it was a joke......in that a couple of people had a problem, with what is argueably the most successful optics company on the planet.

To say that they didn't solve your problems.....or give an adequate explaination as to why they did not......I call an outright distortion of the truth.

Leupold Stevens is one of the top American corporations, doing business with shooters and sportsmen. To run them down on this website is, in a word, ignorant.

.....and if, as they say, "ignorance is bliss", then you must be some happy SOB's!

I have friends at that company and while THEY would not wish you any ill will, I personnally hope your existing scope fogs up and makes you miss the next world record.......whatever!

Man, all I wanted was your guys opinion on whether they would fix my old broken scope, or replace it. Didn't think I'd start the longest thread on here.
So doeas anyone know the awnser to my original post?

Good post Boskee :)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]I'll bet you stinky's zeiss they will. Most likely replace.

If you print out this thread and send it to them I'll bet you two of Stinkys.

Call them and I'll bet they tell you to send it in and they'll fix it or replace it. I have never ever had an issue with them on anything period they didn't take care of!

I know they have great cutomer service. The replaced my buddies when the reticles broke.

My first post on this thread.....they'll make you happy (almost to the point of hard-to-believe) is the answer.

stinky I shoot a 300 um with a leopold mark 4 with front focal, and have been able to hold about 5" groups at 900 yards depending on the conditions. and about 1/2" groups at a hundred yards. I do agree with you that Night Force is a better scope, but they didn't make a front focal scope when I bought mine. Leopold makes a great scope, but the mark 4 is the only scope that they make as nice as the night force in my opinion.

Nickman, very well said. Leupold has been there for sportsmen, our fighting men, and our law enforcement agencies for decades with dependable products and a warranty to back it up. I can tell you that they stepped up and helped law enforcement agencies in smaller & larger cities when funding was tight, donated hundreds ( probably thousands) of scopes over the years to worthwhile conservation groups, and the NRA, NSSF and many shooting clubs, local ranges and youth programs nationally. The RMEF, Deer Foundation, SCI, Antelope foundation, Sheep Society, and many others have all been the beneficiarys of Leupolds generosity over the years. You hit the bullseye Nickman with your remarks just like their scopes have millions upon millions of times!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]Powerwagon, nightforce does have a first focal plane scope
check em out
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/F1_1_09.pdf

As for the vp of marketing for mcmillan...... The reason I originally started researching nightforce is because I bought a mcmillan tac50 50 BMG and not a single leupold gave me the sub 1/2 MOA accuracy I was looking for in that gun. I was going to send it back to phoenix until YOUR head gun smith told me the scope was the problem and I need not send the gun to them for analysis. Anyways, he asked me what scopes I was using and I told him leupold vxIV. He said that was the problem. He said the only shop scopes they had were a nightforce and a zeis conquest. They are the best. He gave me a ton of refrences of which I called and everyone said the same thing. I then bought a nightforce for trial purposes and have been in love with it ever since. The groups quickly shrunk to sub 1/4 MOA.

Someone also said I have zeiss scopes???? My father has one! I have a bushnell elite 3200 on my muzzy, a burris black diamond on my other muzzy, and everything else has nightforce NXS 5.5X22 X56mm scopes. My 338-378 has a nightforce in the first focal plane in addition.

And for you leupold freaks I will admit that my 22 has a leupold VXII on it only because cabelas wouldn't give my money back after having returned so many scopes. Sooooooo, I put it on a 22. I figured surely that didn't have enough recoil to mess it up..

One last question for MR VP OF MARKETING OF MCMILLAN!!!!! I'm not sure how good someone can shoot has to do with the better scope but since you deviated from course I will bite. First off I can't stand the hysteresis in the Leupold scope. Since you are sooooooooooo intelligent and have suuuuuuch a lofty position and suuuuuuuuch high regards for your vast knowledge please answer me the same question I ask everyone else on here about their favorite scopes. What is equation for the leupold scope. You can state it in mechanical engineering terms like spring dashpot (please include the value of your mechanical devices such as response time etc.), or electrical engineering feedback control form, etc. take your pick. I'm just curious how the three deminsional fourier optics equation was solved for your beloved leupold. I figure if your soooooo freakin high and almighty you should know such a simple question. Feel free to contact leupold and see if they can give it to you. I doubt they will but maybe you can take a scope apart and figure out the defraction angles from snells law are, plug these into the equation. Determine the materials component of the different glass layers to determine diffusion factors etc. I assume you do know all this also since you will need it for your 3-d fourier transform to back your statement of why leupold is better. Buuuuuuuut, if you prefer please re-iterate the fact that you are a better shot than I am and that you hang out with military guys and that, that one fact makes your opinion and scopes better than a Nightforce. I base my knowledge off data from the scope, not the range. Leupold and Nightforce CANNOT be classified in the same class, EVER. Nightforce is heads over heels above leupold. When I get the time I will tear in to schmidt and bender and see how they compare equation wise to Nightforce in case you would like to know that too.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

what exactly is a leupold vxIV.....never heard of or seen one anywhere......are you sure you know as much as you think about leupold??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

When i wake up in the mourning im goin to cabels's to check out a nightforce. Let's see what all the hype is about. Iv'e been a leupold fan for year's until mine fogged up last year.

D13 - I meant to say mark 4. I've always called the mark 4 a vari-X IV. kinda like I call an antelope a cantelope. Sorry. I will remain politically correct from hence forth! MY BAD!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

I wish I could afford a schmidt and bender. I've messed with everyone elses but never have been able to convince my self to drop a couple of house payments on one of those suckers. Boy would I like to have a schmidt and bender PMII. For now I will just have to settle for the wallet photos in my truck and the pinup I have hanging over my bed. ROFL

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

stinky. Yea I now night force has a front focal now, but they didn't when I purchased, I wish I would have waited. Since you have a little more knowledge in this subject than most, what do you think about the us optics scopes compared to the schmidt and benders. The reason I ask, is when I save up for my next rifle, I will be putting on a NF, SM, or the US optic scopes.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 03:00AM (MST)[p]

Gee Stinky why would I as a gun manufacturer that qualified my weapon care about that? And if I qualified my weapon then why wasn't it an issue with me?

Since you seem to be the guy with all the answers and experience in the gun business I guess we'll just have to let you research that yourself. As to my friends, I guess a guy like you that seems to be so self centered wouldn't really understand that either.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]Stinky on a closing note you may want to go back and reread what I wrote. Nowhere in my post did I discredit nightforce or any other brand in fact I may have eluded to the fact they were a good product. It would appear that your reading retention skills leave a lot to be desired on quite a few points that you seemed to misstate what I wrote. The other facet that seems to elude your thought process is on contracts that the government lets out for bid they specify what they want and it's your job to supply them an article that meets the specifications within the pricing structure they will allow. There have been millions upon millions of Leupold scopes that perform to each customers exact standards. So for you to try to sit there and say that they're all wrong and you're right seems kind of foolish let alone dumb.

Conditions can trump just about anything man can produce that's affordable currently. Until you can master them completely I'm afraid you'll just have to deal with missing the mark like the rest of us no matter how much you spend on any scope and how big a gun you shoot and that's an undisputable fact. Then in spite of my lofty credentials as you put it, I was employed in the business and I haven't seen anything that you seem to be able to offer up that trumps that. Let's face it stinky you got called on something and you were wrong, admit it and move on. Good luck on your elk hunt :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom