opening morning ram

muley_crazy85

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-14 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/446820140201_074339.jpg

667520140201_073301.jpg

Well i kinda let sheep season sneak up on me this year. I had done no scouting and decided to scout the Friday before the hunt started. I had seen a large group of sheep with 3 nice rams during the first rifle deer hunt. They were right next to the highway so I figured it was a fluke and the deer hunters pushed them there. Well my buddy calls me on Friday and told me his friends had been seeing a group with 3 rams right of the highway during the January bow hunt. So I went out Friday afternoon and pulled off the highway and first thing I find in the spotting scope is 17 sheep about a mile off the road. One nice ram and a smaller one with the rest being ewes. I figured that I wasn't the only one that knew they were there so I watched them until dark. At daylight me and my two buddies along with one of their grandsons where hoping to spot them but the sun came up and no luck. So we went about a half mile down the road and turned in on a two track that dead ends after about a mile. The gate wasn't locked the same way as I locked it the night before so I was hesitant to go in knowing someone was already in there But I did anyway. We go 500 yards and I see sheep standing in the road. The bigger ram was hard to get a shot on because he stayed tucked in tight with the ewes but after a few misses he cleared the heard and I put one in his shoulder. The heard seemed to slow up after he went down so I told my buddy to go to the top of the hill and see if they stopped. Sure enough they did and my buddies grandson was able to take his first ram. Mine ended up being 27 inches and his was 24. We were just lucky and very fortunate on this hunt. I have put on a lot of miles sheep hunting and took my largest ram right by the road. I feel bad for the guys that drove by them before the sun came up and parked to walk in. I guess it's better to be lucky then good sometimes.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom