Oooh-Rah

202typical

Long Time Member
That's what I'm talkin bout

Iraq veterans become pro-war candidates

By JULIE CARR SMYTH, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Scott Radcliffe believes two tours of duty in Iraq gave him the stuff to serve in Congress. As a platoon commander, he helped spearhead economic development, built citizen coalitions and made many tough decisions, often amid enemy fire.

"I would be putting all I learned in that pressure-filled environment into practice. So it really cuts through metal," said Radcliffe, 28, who seeks to unseat a newly elected Republican in northwest Ohio.

He's among the dozen young Republicans from across the country helping each other campaign under the banner of Iraq Veterans for Congress, cross-promoting each other and directing donors to a shared Web site. It's a response to the anti-war veterans whose campaigns drew attention in 2006, when Patrick Murphy of Philadelphia was the only Iraq vet to win election while openly supporting the war.

The platform of Iraq Vets for Congress grew out of the attitudes of the previous election: They believe in victory in Iraq, staying on the offense in the war on terror and taking care of all veterans, said founder Kieran Lalor, who's running for a seat in New York.

Lalor's pro-war band of brothers includes California's Eric Egland, a military intelligence officer who gained national attention for his book "The Troops Need You, America" and a charity of the same name. Other members of the group hail from Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, Indiana and Maine.

"Most people say we (Republicans) lost the Congress last time because of the war," said Lalor, 32, of Wappingers Falls, N.Y. "I put my life on the line there, I lost friends there, and if I didn't believe American national security was at stake, I would be the first to say so.

"We as messengers are as important as the message."

The warrior returned from battle to serve in public life is as ancient as the Roman hero Cincinnatus and as familiar as five-star general-turned-President Dwight Eisenhower. Political scientist Costas Panagopoulos, director of Fordham University's graduate program in Elections and Campaign Management, said combat experience resonates with voters, especially during wartime.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-08 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]Dude;

I think you missed the real message. This is not about Republicans supporting the war. It is about veterans that fought in that war, had friends die in that war, and they feel that it is the right thing to do to see it to the finish on the war against terrorists
As for me, I will listen to them since they have earned the right to express their beliefs about the war and have far better credentials about their opinions on the war then you or I have.

RELH

Sure they have every right to voice their opinion and run for office but that doesn't mean the voters will elect them.

Iraq is to the point Americans want as few troops as possible and as little money spent as possible the sales pitch era is over , right or wrong it's done. so the question is where do we go from here.

The last report I saw on Iraq says we'll need to leave 140,000 troops there for who knows how long, that means all is not peachie. IF we can find 140,000 and if we can borrow the money to keep them there that is. we'll know in November what the future holds, if Obama gets elected the Iraqis better get their butts in gear to take over their own affairs. if McCain gets it they can sit on their thumbs until the next election. the new CIC will decide what happens in Iraq not anti or pro war vets.

>Sure they have every right to
>voice their opinion and run
>for office but that doesn't
>mean the voters will elect
>them.

Well no sh*& Sherlock!
The point is I think it is great that our war heros are running for office.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

Like John Kerry did?

Like I said big news, vet's running for office. will wonders never cease.

If John Kerry would not have been so lovey dovey with Hanoi Jane, he might have got elected.

RELH

+1

Timberline
47bc7e734e04c60a.jpg

http://www.timberlineoutfittersnevada.com/

Kerry did get elected, just not as president.

Patrick Murphy is the only Iraq vet in congress and he endorsed Obama, go figure. maybe all vets aren't enthusiastic about the war? wow say it ain't so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom