One Shot Dying?

elks96

Long Time Member
This year the one shot hunt came and went here in Lander. It was hardly advertised. There was no local media coverage with any depth. To my knowledge, they held one brief radio blurb and that was all. In our local news, there were no articles locally other than a single notice of a closure in sinks for the group.

The comments on that local announcement were not overly favorable. Despite my attempts to contact the hunt. There was no public list of the participants. No list of participants on the web page to be found, etc.

This here is the only article I have found.

I hope someday we can change this hunt and have the tags back into the hands of the public. Or at the very least have the tags available for bid by different nonprofits and have the tags actually raise money for conservation efforts here for our benefit!

They kept it hush hush this year…

Guess the Wyoming team choked pretty good. Who would have thought?

The One Shot will hide in the basement as long as they get the tags for the past shooters. Disgusting...
The interesting thing. When I first moved here the One Shot was a big deal lots of people in town talk about. You hear discussions at the bar, in restaurants, etc. at that time is was a mix of grumbles from those that spoke against and many who still believed it was such a good thing for town. For the last several years they have toned down the publicity. This year we did not see any banners, no welcome one shot hunters, etc. they did not advertise the list of teams etc.

I truly feel like the tide even in Lander has turned. That since the bad winter and the draw odds are getting worse, people are seeing the negative aspects and as such they are “hiding in the basement”.

The interesting thing. When I first moved here the One Shot was a big deal lots of people in town talk about. You hear discussions at the bar, in restaurants, etc. at that time is was a mix of grumbles from those that spoke against and many who still believed it was such a good thing for town. For the last several years they have toned down the publicity. This year we did not see any banners, no welcome one shot hunters, etc. they did not advertise the list of teams etc.

I truly feel like the tide even in Lander has turned. That since the bad winter and the draw odds are getting worse, people are seeing the negative aspects and as such they are “hiding in the basement”.
I saw a few guys around town with the leather patch on their lanyards. They looked like the typical one shot competitors you see every year. Just another welfare tag program for the well healed and influential. Hopefully they do away with it.

I saw a few guys around town with the leather patch on their lanyards. They looked like the typical one shot competitors you see every year. Just another welfare tag program for the well healed and influential. Hopefully they do away with it.
We never even crossed paths with one… would
You agree the tide has shifted locally on the hunt?

Its my goal to start a one shot elk hunt. late season tags. Get to hunt in hard to draw areas. Which means we take tags from the public.

on top of it our profits will pay for nice dinners, any gear we need. Still looking for entertainment. having people dance like Indians in dresses is not my style.

Whatever profits we have left we will do a little water project to please the public. who is in???????????????

Remember the task force? I brought this issue up in a local meeting. 99 percent of the public members had no idea what i was discussing. The worthless task force members didnt give a chit about what i had to say. Locals are shocked when i dont vote for Lee Livingtson in our county. He was a selfish county commissioner, well pretty much any commissioner we have is a joke

Remember the task force? I brought this issue up in a local meeting. 99 percent of the public members had no idea what i was discussing. The worthless task force members didnt give a chit about what i had to say. Locals are shocked when i dont vote for Lee Livingtson in our county. He was a selfish county commissioner, well pretty much any commissioner we have is a joke
Yes as people learn about the hunt more and more are not in support of it. The only arguments I get back are... 80 tags not that much. Then I get the well the rich people spend so much money in Lander. Sorry but what they spend is not that important.

I love how everyone tells me I am just jealous... Truth is I likely wouldn't hunt those units at all but 80 tags is a chunk and overtime that is a massive number of tags taken from the public.

Yes as people learn about the hunt more and more are not in support of it. The only arguments I get back are... 80 tags not that much. Then I get the well the rich people spend so much money in Lander. Sorry but what they spend is not that important.

I love how everyone tells me I am just jealous... Truth is I likely wouldn't hunt those units at all but 80 tags is a chunk and overtime that is a massive number of tags taken from the public.
You should come down to the Utah Expo if you want to see theivery of public tags.
Over 500 of our General Draw tags are stolen from us and put in a special draw.

Back in the 70's my Dad and ai won the 1 shot hunt with 2 1 shots in less than 5 minutes per the observers. We were from Knasas City and only got 1 bid on our Team!
Joe Highsmith the Mayor of Shoshoni was the winning bidder.

Back in the 70's my Dad and ai won the 1 shot hunt with 2 1 shots in less than 5 minutes per the observers. We were from Knasas City and only got 1 bid on our Team!
Joe Highsmith the Mayor of Shoshoni was the winning bidder.
I guess I don't get what the big deal about shooting antelope quick is. I could shoot about 30 in 15 minutes in some spots. To me that's not what hunting is about

Last edited:
We never even crossed paths with one… would
You agree the tide has shifted locally on the hunt?
Yes, there was not nearly as many people as there were a few years ago in the Lander Bar the night before the hunt. Granted I am not in Lander every year for the opener but I have been there a few out of the last 10 years.

Ran into this guy in unit 66 a few years ago, nice guy, I would imagine he is there every year.

Yes, there was not nearly as many people as there were a few years ago in the Lander Bar the night before the hunt. Granted I am not in Lander every year for the opener but I have been there a few out of the last 10 years.

Ran into this guy in unit 66 a few years ago, nice guy, I would imagine he is there every year.

I am willing to bet there are a lot of good guys. Infact the one person I know the best is someone I highly respect and as a kid looked up to as a mentor. I don’t blame him for attending, especially when they promoted the hunt. I sent him a message the week before the hunt and encouraged him to reconsider or at least think about what the hunt means to resident hunters. I have done that with a couple people I have crossed paths with, including the former CPW commissioner. I am curious if that is the reason why they did not advertise the teams ahead of time?

I don’t blame the hunters, I blame the hunt in this case.

Also as many have mentioned not much of hunt if all you are trying to do is kill the first lope you can as fast as you can.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom