once in a lifetime mountain goat hunt in utah

B

Brandt

Hey everyone my name is Brandt and I am an avid hunter from salt lake city. I have been putting in for this mountain goat tag ever since I could hunt and was lucky enough to draw it this year. My unit is the North slope South slope high uintas central. I haven't ever been to the area yet and I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction for my first scouting trip. If anyone has ever hunted the area before and has any tips to share I would appreciate it. I have also been looking for a packer and the only thing I have found were people to set up drop camps and they were quite pricey.I have also looked at a map and looked at the trails to walk in on but I don't know the difficulty of the trails and would be open to suggestions on the best access points to get into the back country.

thank you for your help
Brandt

Call Joe Peterson and peterson cabnets in Provo that man is a avid outdoors man and two years ago had the high uintas west tag. He will be able to give you pointers on where to start your search. A positive with that unit is no over crowding of hunters like on Timp, but its like 4 to 10 miles to the goats.

You might also try Zeke. I'll keep my eyes out, I'm planning a couple backpacking trips on the North slope in the next couple months.

There are lots of goats in the central unit. Finding them is not the hard part. Finding one in a spot where you can kill it and retrieve it is going to be your challenge. You should plan a couple of backpack trips into the area this summer if you have not been in there already. Check your maps for steep areas over 10,500 feet. Sometimes they will venture low, but always have an escape to the high cliffs. From my perspective goats are a different kind of hunting experience. You are going to need to go 10 miles in, to set up a camp. I hunted the West unit last year with a friend; he killed his late opening day. We looked over 50 goats, three attempt stocks before we found the right situation. Have fun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom