oil cooler question

feddoc

Long Time Member
Any of you ever run one of these on your rig?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONUDS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Im thinking about adding one for the transmission and one for the motor oil.

The old belcher runs a bit warmer than I would like and I wanna take a trip to south Texas next Spring.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

It's good quality but, I feel it's too small for a tranny cooler in an 8000# truck that hauls any kind of weight. My dad runs an identical cooler/fan combo on his 2007 mega cab. His tranny temps still get near 230?F when pulling grades with his 5th wheel. I don't have any other numbers for his truck. The only time he drives that truck is when towing his 5th wheel.

Many moons ago, I installed a 6.0 cooler on my 2000 7.3 and also added a dieselsite spin on filter. I rarely see over 115?F unless, i'm in stop and go traffic or driving around town. In those instances, i'll see ~130?F. When towing, I never see over 180?F. Having a way to lock your convertor also helps with heat. The 6.0 coolers are massive. Dimensions are around 25"x16"x1.25". If you could find room for one, I think you'd be money ahead.

On another note, I run a slightly smaller B&M super cooler in my power steering system w/ hydraulic assist. It works great in that service.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom