Oh! Man this hurts!!!

C

ClorideRUS

Utah ain't having a very good run ... after the fires and now this.

HUNTINGTON, Utah (CNN) -- At least six ambulances rushed to Utah's Crandall Canyon mine Thursday evening where rescue workers have been trying to reach six men trapped deep under ground.

Mine co-owner Bob Murray, left, consoles Crandall Canyon mine safety officer Bodie Allred.
more photos ?

There "may have been another collapse at the mine" according to officials at Castleview Hospital in Price, Utah. Medics inside the vehicles were seen doing chest compressions.
One helicopter is on the scene, one is on the way from University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City according to a spokesman for the hospital.
"We are in an emergency situation," Bob Murray, president and CEO of mine co-owner Murray Energy Group Corp., told CNN.
Earlier, officials said rescue efforts have been going disappointingly slow, but rescuers have had some encouraging news, officials said Thursday.
Samples taken from the third hole bored into the mine found that the air had a 16.8 percent level of oxygen, Richard Stickler, head of the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration told reporters Thursday.
Bob Murray, president and CEO of mine co-owner Murray Energy Group Corp., said video taken from a camera lowered into the hole showed a large, open cavity.
"If the men did go to this area that is open, the air is there, the water is there, everything is there to sustain them indefinitely until we get to them," Murray said.
But he stressed that rescuers do not know if the miners were in that area.
Rescuers are still more than 1,000 feet from reaching the section where the men were believed to be working, Murray said.
Seismic movement Wednesday night loosened rubble that covered the "continuous miner" machine -- a powerful plow that chews up coal and shovels it into carts following behind -- halting work for a while, Murray said. Another shake delayed work later Thursday morning, he said. Watch as Murray shows video taken from the mine ?
"I'm so sorry, ladies and gentlemen, to tell these families that we're not making better progress underground," Murray said. "And it's strictly due to the fact that the mountain is still alive and the mountain is not allowing us to advance as rapidly as we would like to."
Rescuers plan to drill a fourth hole to try to find the miners, who've been trapped for 10 days in the central Utah coal mine. See photos of the rescue efforts ?
Murray said it probably would take two days to drill the 1,586-foot-deep shaft.
On Wednesday, underground listening devices, called geophones, picked up a "series of spikes" over a five-minute period.
Rescuers said they didn't know what the sounds were, but they said they were encouraged.
Murray said the sensors have not picked up the noises again.
"Those sounds could have been anything, and we've said that from the beginning," Murray said Thursday.
Don't Miss
In depth: Miners trapped
Mine survivor: 'I think I did everything I could'
CEO still hopeful that miners are alive
Two earlier bore holes have yielded no signs of life, but they have shown there is survivable space and some breathable air, rescuers have said.
During the drilling of the third bore hole Wednesday morning, two of the six geophone listening devices on the mountain above the mine detected the unknown noise, Stickler said. It lasted for about five minutes, stopped and has not been detected since, he said.
Geophones have never been successfully used to rescue trapped miners, but, in experiments, they have been able to pick up signals as far as 2,000 feet under the surface, Stickler said.
The six miners were trapped August 6, when the mine collapsed. In addition to drilling holes down into the mine, rescuers also have been working around the clock to clear rubble from a 2,000-foot stretch of tunnel leading to where the miners were thought to have been working. However, that work has been moving slowly, hampered by unstable conditions and seismic shifts inside the mine.

Murray maintains that an earthquake, not mining activity, caused the collapse. However, seismologists at the U.S. Geological Survey say there was no earthquake and the collapse registered as a 3.9-magnitude quake.
Friends and family have identified the trapped men as Louis Alonso Hernandez, 23; Manuel Sanchez, 41; Kerry Allred, 57; Carlos Payan, in his 20s; Brandon Phillips, 24; and Don Erickson, 50. See the miners' profiles ? E-mail to a friend

RUS <tears in his eyes>

I'm with you RUS. What a mess! That's a tough deal. I can't imagine the emotions those poor people are going through.

Continued prayers!

Eel

A BAD SAD DEAL!!!

ONE DEAD & 8 HURT!!!

THIS AREA IS NOT STABLE!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

NOW 2 DEAD!!!

DAMN!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

2 very brave men Dead. The ultimate sacrifice working to find their lost brothers. I can't even begin to imagine...

Bean

Make that 3, is it just me or does the owner of the mine Robert Murray seem to be more worried about his bank account that the people who are trapped inside the mine, and the rescue workers?

Agreed, he's seems like an A@# Hole. Anyhow it sucks to these now that 3 more have died working their butts off to find their buddies.
redelkarcher>>>------------------>

makes me sad for the families left behind, man doesn't belong 1500 Ft. underground, tuff guys but yah gotta wonder the sanity of it all...

I think Murray should let someone else do his talking, I think his emotion scatters his thought process 'an stuff isn't comming out the way he wants.
I think NO ONE is more tore up about those miners than Bob Murray.
I believe his people are his first priority.
What a sad deal, but on the other hand, those boys have giant balls of granite, and every one of them knows the risk.
That doesn't make it any less tragic.
Those resque guys are a breed apart, in that tunnel with all the earth movement going on, every one of 'em a volemteer... I don't know that I could do that, I hope I never have to find out!

Manny15

Maybe you should think that comment over the next time that your sitting watching tv in an air conditioned home without these "tuff insane guys" you would most likely be sitting on your butt looking at the wall until it got dark. My brother is one of those "tuff guys" that goes to work knowing that these things happen. He lost a best friend last year and another friend last night. He was in a "bounce" that cracked his skull and nearly ripped his ear off last October and he was back to work the next week. Yes the families are hurting and I am sick over this whole situation but I think your comment discounts what their "insane" husbands, fathers, and brothers do.

I rarely post anything here nor do I expect you to change your thoughts or feelings about your comment, just think about it a little.

JBC

>Manny15
>
>Maybe you should think that comment
>over the next time that
>your sitting watching tv in
>an air conditioned home without
>these "tuff insane guys" you
>would most likely be sitting
>on your butt looking at
>the wall until it got
>dark. My brother is one
>of those "tuff guys" that
>goes to work knowing that
>these things happen. He lost
>a best friend last year
>and another friend last night.
>He was in a "bounce"
>that cracked his skull and
>nearly ripped his ear off
>last October and he was
>back to work the next
>week. Yes the families are
>hurting and I am sick
>over this whole situation but
>I think your comment discounts
>what their "insane" husbands, fathers,
>and brothers do.
>
>I rarely post anything here nor
>do I expect you to
>change your thoughts or feelings
>about your comment, just think
>about it a little.
>
>JBC

well your right, I won't change my mind, even though I don't mean no disrespect to the workers, and even if it sounds insensitive it's just an insaine way to make a livin.......

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-07 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]My wife just came upstairs crying. Seems one of the young men interviewed on local TV used to work for her at the USFS. His dad died last night on the rescue mission.

Heartbreak is never far from home folks!

Post script: The young man quit his job at the FS because he did his tour in Iraq.

RUS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom