Oh, how things have changed!

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Just got back from a Wyoming scouting trip, in which I looked at 24 bucks. I did the same scouting trip 2 years ago and looked at 84 bucks. After scouting last year I was thinking buck numbers were off 50% or so. Now after last years hunts, I think buck numbers are off by 70% compared to 2 years ago. Not many yearlings or 2 year old type bucks.

It’s strange to look at hillsides where I always saw bucks, and now none. Lots of hillsides and basins like that. Such a huge change. I’ve never seen anything like it in such a short period of time.

Couple of the best bucks found this year.
IMG_5628.jpeg

Desert is the same. I went from 15+ bucks on a water hole camera before the bad winter, last year I had 2 tiney 2 points is all and this year I'm up to 4 bucks haha. Pretty crazy.

When you have a winter kill like that , from my research over the years with other areas , you are looking at a 20 year plus cycle when hunting is still allowed. We’ve got the same problem going on in some of Idahos better units. That’s a big process to bring trophy Mule Deer back when you’re always taking the cream of the crop. Thanks for sharing your info

When you have a winter kill like that , from my research over the years with other areas , you are looking at a 20 year plus cycle when hunting is still allowed. We’ve got the same problem going on in some of Idahos better units. That’s a big process to bring trophy Mule Deer back when you’re always taking the cream of the crop. Thanks for sharing your info
Hopefully it recovers some day, but based on what I’ve seen almost everywhere else, probably not.

A good friend of mine guides on the east side of Nevada, 90% of my hunting takes place in southern Utah, and we were comparing quality and quantity one day, his observation was numbers were down crazy low, without any young bucks, my observation was numbers were way down and no mature bucks mostly everything I have been seeing was 3 yrs old and younger.

A good friend of mine guides on the east side of Nevada, 90% of my hunting takes place in southern Utah, and we were comparing quality and quantity one day, his observation was numbers were down crazy low, without any young bucks, my observation was numbers were way down and no mature bucks mostly everything I have been seeing was 3 yrs old and younger.
If your talking about a general hunt unit here in Utah you can figure 80% or so of those young bucks will be history when all of the hunts are over this year..its not hard to figure out why mature bucks are so few and far in between

That big winter of 22-23 took a massive toll.

On the bright side, everything that survived it in all the states effected, are the fittest of the fittest genetically and that is what our crop is coming from this year.

It's sad to see buck numbers drop with little concern in some states about tag quotas. It obviously takes healthy does and fawns to produce bucks! Bad winters and a long list of other factors all add up and take their toll.

If your talking about a general hunt unit here in Utah you can figure 80% or so of those young bucks will be history when all of the hunts are over this year..its not hard to figure out why mature bucks are so few and far in between
General and LE units, here on the pauns I've seen a little bit better quality this year, but still far from where it should be for a LE.
your not wrong about the general units, majority of those will be killed off this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom