Ogden Extended Elk

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
DOES NOT EXIST! YOU CAN NOT HUNT ELK DURING THE EXTENDED SEASON IN THE OGDEN UNIT!!

I have met a few guys on the hills chasing elk in the Ogden Extended Archery unit this year. I have informed them that there is no such thing as the "Ogden Extended" for elk but they have all assured me there is.

WELL!!! THERE ISN'T!!!

Extended archery
If you haven't taken an elk by the time
the general archery season ends, you may continue
hunting in the Wasatch Front, Uintah Basin
and Sanpete Valley extended archery elk areas
during the extended archery seasons. You may
use archery equipment to take one of the following
animals:
? One elk?either any bull or antlerless?
within the Wasatch Front and Uintah
Basin extended archery areas from
Sept. 15?Dec. 15
? One elk?either any bull or antlerless?
within the Sanpete Valley Extended Archery
Area from Nov. 10?Dec. 31
To hunt any of the extended archery areas,
you must complete the Division?s Archery Ethics
Course and carry your archery ethics course
certificate of completion with you while you're
hunting. Please see the Archery Ethics Course box
on page 13 for more information.

If there was, I might just have a cool looking 1X3 on the ground right now.

Guess I'll get my panties out of my butt crack now...

It appears your right. But I am not sure when the change happened. Long ago the Wasatch was one unit and included the Ogden area. Both elk and deer were legal. Then they stopped the doe hunt on the Ogden area but not on the Wasatch part. That's when they spit the area to to sub units. I think they intended the area to be opened but lost the Ogden section due to the new maps. I want to look up legal description but I cant't find it. That may solve the problem. The elk and deer in the past had two different descriptions. The elk showed the Ogden and Wasatch areas open for elk and was just one area.

If they intend to make huge changes like dropping the Ogden area they should add it to the big changes for the year list.

here's the boundary map for that area.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/details_boundary.php?boundary_id=282

who farted?

I would worry more about all the idiots trying to kill does on the Ogden unit. People just don't get it! They think the Wasatch Extended covers it all, but not the case.

Good point, thanks for the post. I sure wish it would eliminate the problem, but it won't. I have told 3 guys already about the doe rule on the Ogden, but they just roll their eyes and walk away.

It would be nice if that boundry map went another 20 miles or so to the south, used to see some goodones go down into alpine to winter. They should put a picture of the boundry on the front page of the proclamation, For rifle hunters as well.

I ran into another guy "road hunting" elk in a side by side.

After riding up and down the road maybe 3-4 times he stopped and aked us if we had been seeing any elk. I asked him why and he responded "Because I'm hoping to fill my tag before the season ends" to which I responded, "well then you should have been out hunting in september because the elk hunt already ended here"

After a little back-and-forth I pulled out my phone and showed him the Ogden Extended map and the Wasatch front Extended map as well.

If I see him back there again I'm going to turn him in to the F&G and though there will probably be little they can do, At least he will stop hunting elk on the wrong unit.... well if you call riding a ranger up and down the road elk hutning that is. LOL

if my memory serves me right, i am almost positive that boundary change was made last season

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom