??? of the Day ... What Pack You Using?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Question of the Day ... What pack are you using for your hunting? If you use multiple packs, list them all. And, how often would you guess you're replacing your packs?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

I'm going on my third season with an Eberlestock Dragon fly. I use it for most of my hunting trips unless it's just a day trip. I've been very impressed with it so far but haven't used it as much for load hauling as I was hoping by now. I also bought my wife a Sitka bivy that I took on a turkey hunt not long ago. I was very impressed with that pack as well. I don't plan on replacing these packs for a long time!

I have a Day Pack that I purchased from "The WalMart"...

Fieldline. Has plenty of pockets and water bladder. Usually has my knife, lunch, plastic bags, and other stuff I may need if I get a deer back in from the road. Used it for a day of shed hunting recently also and it worked great carrying a few deer sheds (nothing giant)...

973712110105572723is.jpg

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Been through a bunch, that first gen eberlestock j 104 sucked for packing, my Bandlands 4500 frame has broke multiple times as well as the waist strap. I know your did also founder. Will see how the new Kuiu holds up I'm waiting on some legit reviews.

I use kuiu when on multiple day hunts,and Eberlestock on day hikes. I have been eyeing the kifaru spike camp or the late season. Is there anyone using either of the two?

I use a Lowe Alpine Netherworld 90. It fits me like a glove. I've had it since 98 or 99 and it is still going strong. I've abused it like crazy and nothing has broken. Stitching, buckles, zippers, straps, etc. are all still as good as day 1. When I'm out for the day I just cinch it skinnier. I may go to a hunting specific pack when this one dies...but that could easily be 20-30 years from now.

Here it is loaded down with two hind elk qtrs.
9976img1503.jpg

Week fishing trip with chair.
24521000541.jpg

Scouts
8706img5911.jpg

Only pic I have with a smaller load.
1517hunt002.jpg

Badlands 2200 for about four years. Love it. Had an external frame pack before that and hated it while hunting. The frame was always in the way. Will keep the Badlands forever.

I have been through a few.

The last 4 years I have used an Eberlestock J-34. Construction of this pack is excellent, love the scabbard and the ability for the pack to expand to carry meat. I dont like the pack in day pack / compressed mode, it has hardly any capacity and the expansion zipper wants to unzip anytime you want to put stuff in the main compartment. The pack is a tad heavy also but this was expected given the type of pack that it is. Also, do not like the bow bucket attachment, that is a POS.

For shed hunting I use a Hornhunter Mainbeam. The design of this pack for this application is excellent, especially for deer antlers.It will handle elk antlers in a pinch as well. Drawbacks of this pack (and the other hornhunter products I have owned), is materials and workmanship. They use cheap buckles, and other hardware. After 5 years, the pack itself is holding up ok, just many the clips and buckles have had to been replaced. One of the zippers is bad also.

This year I am giving the KUIU Icon Pro a run. Initial impression is I like the design of the pack and that it is super light. I would sacrifice some weight for some more waterproofness.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-15 AT 02:25PM (MST)[p]I use a Tenzing 2220 for just about everything. I also have a Redhead external frame pack for hauling bulkier/heavier loads.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-15 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]This will be the 15th season I've been using the same Kifaru Spike Camp as my day pack. If I were to replace it, it would have to be a Kifaru Nomad.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Mainly my E-104 for last 10 yrs.It fits my long torso and is very comfortable,even hunting.And the 1st load out can carry alot.

The Cabellas WT daypack I had been using always gave me a back ache even empty.
But my Cabellas Alaska freighter goes along for backup in the truck.
Looking at one of the smaller E-stock packs for just lighter hunting pack/day trips.

I have a Sitka ascent that I use as a day pack, really fits well and hardly notice it's on. I just got it last Xmas so it will see its first action this season.
I have a HH mainbeam that I can use for overnight trips and have enough supplies. Had it 6 years.
I use a Gregory internal frame for trips longer than overnight. Had it 10 years.

An Eberlstock J107 for longer hunts and an old Cabelas fleece daypack that has to be over 20 years old with countless hunts and has even hauled a little meat.

hunting out of the wall tent I have been using a day pack ($35)I got from walmart when I moved here in 2004. Once I get an animal down I just use a simple meat hauler, original was the cheapest gander mountain had in '04 after moose, elk, deer, bear, pronghorn and getting busted up with gear thrown on top of it some of the supports were getting bent too often and rebent into place so I bought a new one last fall at sportsmans for like $60. It is heavier so should last me for the next 25 years or so.

I have other pack frames for bivy camps and such but those don't get used as often. I prefer to spend my money on actual trips vs a $400 pack every couple years :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I've been through several, but only listing quality packs I started with an Eberlestock J104, which I do like, just a little heavy empty.
Also tried a Badlands 2200, which broke several times, so no chance I will use it again. Very disappointed.
I have been using a Kuiu Icon since the very first generation. Packed well over 25 loads, and used for several years. Still going strong and works great. Newer Kuiu is even better. I've stopped looking, and only use my Kuiu now.
Bill

I've been through several, but only listing quality packs I started with an Eberlestock J104, which I do like, just a little heavy empty.
Also tried a Badlands 2200, which broke several times, so no chance I will use it again. Very disappointed.
I have been using a Kuiu Icon since the very first generation. Packed well over 25 loads, and used for several years. Still going strong and works great. Newer Kuiu is even better. I've stopped looking, and only use my Kuiu now.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom