Oddest dove I ever shot

overton

Long Time Member
Anyone else ever shoot a dove like this?

iy1w86.jpg

LMOA!! Thats like the guy that shot the biggest deer he's ever seen.....an elk!! Is that one of them there Jamaican doves?

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I'd be looking over my shoulder for Ace Ventura now. You shot poor Polly!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Not sure, but it could be a Painted Dove. It has a busted up wing but a good taxidermist can fix that. Worth having mounted, IMO.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-11 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]You are making me look bad Eel. The wing was broke by my yellar lab. Like I said I only head shoot them.

You too JB. The dog must have bit the green dove there too.

>pretty bird.. pretty bird..
>
>YOU SOLD MY DEAD PARAKEET TO
>A BLIND KID!!!!?????
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

We can duct tape it together, post it up on KSL as a rare dove, and some other sucker can buy. Maybe get $250 out of it?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

that is a true california dove. originated from the san francisco area. (gay). u should know that rans. dont play dumb with me

LOL reminds me of the time when i had a guy ask me why i was not shooting doves,,,,, it was opening day i was about 15 a longggg time ago lol i had been watching him shoot BLACKBIRDS LMAO he left with his "limit" and thought i was the DUMMY LOL

Thought this site was about BIG GAME! When you grow a pair Mosnar you'll have a wall of Monster Mule's like myself.......

8514dead_mule_1.jpg

8061dead_mule.jpg

2330dead_mule_3.jpg

Muzz, Archery, High Powered Rifle.... What did you shoot your pretty bird with.. a F'N BB gun LMAO

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Can't see out of 1 eye and am blind in the other. That really should make someone appreciate me head shooting a little dove.

That's gotta be a Pic from CUPSY teaching 1911 Tricks of the Dove Hunting Trade in KALI!

"If it Flies it Dies"!

Now somebody is looking for their 20,000.00 Talkin Bird!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]So I did some research and found this in an old Peterson's field identification book. I found it interesting and thought I would pass it along. No picture but it could be a match.

"Grateful Dove (grat'-full duv) n.- A small member of the dove family widely scattered throughout the United States with highest concentrations found near San Francisco extending into northern California. Sometimes also referred to as a "Jerry's Dove". Easily identified by it's brilliantly colored plumage of reds, blues, greens, and yellows blended together. Patterns vary from patchey splotches to bulls-eye and spiral shapes. Both males and females have similar brilliant plumage with the males having a touch of gray around their head. Has a distinct call which starts on a relatively hight note and gradually descends to a warble after a long period of time. Notes are naselly and typically slurred together and are often thought to resemble the tune of the American folk song "Casey Jones". Very musical and often can be found singing in large groups. The call has been widely recorded but is seems that few people have actually heard one in the wild. Diet consists of typical varieties of seeds and nuts but they are particularly fond of hemp seeds. Grateful doves typically nest in old busses and abandoned vehicles and build nests out of mud lined with grass. Grateful doves can often be seen in large flocks in open fields of grass or perched in redwood trees near tall groves of indigenous fern-like plants, but seem to prefer to live in remote, isolated locations. One of their unique abilities is to fly high for extended periods of time without the apparent need for oxygen.

Before preparing any grateful doves for consumption, closely examine around the beak for any signs of a white powdery substance. If found it is highly likely that consumption of the bird could reportedly could result in what is best described as "hallucinogenic effects".

Some small groups have tried to replace the California Valley Quail with the Grateful Dove as the state bird with little to no success."

>Not sure, but it could be
>a Painted Dove. It has
>a busted up wing but
>a good taxidermist can fix
>that. Worth having mounted, IMO.
>
>
>Eel

You have a keen eye Eel.. Your absolutely correct and that is indeed a Painted Dove, they are very rare and highly sought by trophy Dove hunters around the world.

First I should say that it's very hard to paint a Dove as they are difficult to catch and once caught the real work begins.
Imagine holding the Dove by it's little feet and trying to paint it while the entire time it's flapping it's wings and moving about. In the old days the painting was done free hand with a brush but now with modern techniques the artist uses a air brush.

Judging from your photo Ransom I would say the bird you harvested is an air brushed example, and don't think for a second that detracts from the trophy quality. I know the purists will say that the air brushed examples are not as desirable as the free hand but that's jealousy talking.

I have been a avid Dove hunter for over 50 years and while I have a few trophies of my own they are not even in the same league as your trophy and until now I have only heard of a few of these magical little birds ever being taken.

Congratulations on a fine trophy and I would be remiss if I did not make mention of your head shooting skills.

Well Done..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom