Odd Hunting Laws...

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-12 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]Was looking through some of the local ordinances here in Killeen, TX and found this little gem! Please interpret it for me and then tell me it is unethical to hunt deer from a stand!

Sec. 16-48. Permits for hunting deer.
It shall be unlawful for a permit holder to hunt deer from an elevation less than 10? higher than the animal being hunted on locations less than 50 acres using a centerfire weapon .22
caliber or greater. (Ord. No. 89-16, ? III(7-6-5(H)), 2-14-89; Ord. No. 04-30, ? I, 4-27-04)

Also - post some of the weird laws in your neck of the woods.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Roy, what that hunting law states is if you are hunting a plot of 50 acres or less and using a centerfire weapon, you must be higher then 10 feet then the animal you shoot at. That just abouts confines you to hunting from a elevated stand.

It must be for safety reasons to insure you bullet will go into the ground and not escape your 50 acres to possibly injure someone the next plot of ground over.

>Roy, what that hunting law states
>is if you are hunting
>a plot of 50 acres
>or less and using a
>centerfire weapon, you must be
>higher then 10 feet then
>the animal you shoot at.
>That just abouts confines you
>to hunting from a elevated
>stand.
>
> It must be for
>safety reasons to insure you
>bullet will go into the
>ground and not escape your
>50 acres to possibly injure
>someone the next plot of
>ground over.

Yep, that's what I was thinking..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-12 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]Yep! That is exactly what it means, and exactly why they have that law - to prevent stray bullets. And first, you have to understand that this is a city ordinance and the city area of Killeen includes huge amounts of undeveloped farm and agricultural land and there are a LOT of deer, too many really, it is a big problem actually. In this county each season you can harvest 5 deer - no more than 2 bucks. So there is a concerted effort at population control. But yes, for safety reasons, if the acreage is less than 50 acres, you must hunt them from a stand if you use a centerfire rifle (.22 caliber or greater).

What gets me, and the reason I posted this, are the individuals who criticize stand hunting in areas like this. It just goes to show that they don't have a clue what they are talking about most of the time. If I were to hunt here and kill a huge whitetail buck (and there are some big ones around, though few and far between), the detractors would have a field day because I was using a stand, when I was legally required to do so.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

oh, don't worry- nobody really thinks your going to kill anything big......lol

Ain't that the truth!! (Notice how I did use the WERE TO to make it a hypothetical situation!)

Good laugh on that one. But, actually I will be hunting in that area this fall if other plans fall through, but with a muzzleloader. That would actually be on Ft. Hood though, so I would have to use a stand or a ground blind.

HOOK 'EM!

Could be packmule - The regs on Ft. Hood are pretty strict. There are only a couple of areas open to centerfire rifles. The rest are archery and muzzleloader only, which are some of the better hunting areas anyway, so I am told.

HOOK 'EM!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom