NW Montana Spring Bear

P

psemuleys

Trying to plan a bear hunt to NW Montana this upcoming spring and I'm having a hard time finding much info online about that area. From what I've found it seems like alot of logging areas with a lot of closed logging roads. This is exactly the type of area I'm looking for. I just got out of college and took a job in the far northeast corner of the state so I won't be able to make a scouting trip over. I'm looking at unit 100, and any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

You won't have a problem finding bears, maybe just finding a big one, or maybe I am just an idiot, but I never see big bears. Always talk to guys that claim to have seen "6 footers", but I sure don't. Last year, I had 8 bears in one clearcut at the same time, and not one was a shooter bear. Most walk grassy closed logging roads and/or go find some avalanche chutes to glass. Thousands of miles of road to walk. Many of the old clearcuts are getting regen that is tall enough, sitting and glassing is getting to be worthless. I don't know much about "the yaak", I always stayed on the east side of that district, up and down the reservior. There are some proposed changes to the bear regs, where the spring tag designations are going to encompass those districts west of hwy 93, so watch that.

It's not just you Drahthaar. I'm getting pretty good at finding bears, especially in the fall, and have yet to see a bear I'd say was over 300 pounds while hunting. The really big guys seem to be few and far between.
That said, it's an awesome hunt, probably my favorite of the year. The best bear spots for me are usually above the big drifts, where it's still patchy snow on the south facing slopes. Look for the newest growth grasses, not the greenest areas. Snowshoes will make the the going a lot easier, and get you into better country for the most part.
Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom