NV Sheep tag area 253E

nvnative79

Has anyone ever hunted or know anything about this area. My drew this tagand we plan on going down there in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Friend of mine pulled that unit in 2004 ---we got a 170 ram from the west side---before they split the unit. Another buddy has the same tag as you this year--253E. Thats the good news bad news is I pulled an elk tag that opens same day as his sheep.

We looked in the spectors in 04 but didnt see as many sheep as in the Bares. They are there we just focused on the Bare range. I plan to do alot of scouting with him this summer may run into you. good luck

Brian,

Congrats on your Elk tag if you need any help let me know. Well it looks like you still might be able to hunt sheep with you friend because it look like last year they hunted quite a few days in there. My friend is the one that drew I drew last year in 252. He wants to go down there in two weeks. Would quads help you in this unit? Where are you guys coming from we live in Carson so it is quite a drive. Thanks Ryan

We live in Vegas so a short run for us. The west side is great with lots of road access. The east side fewere roads that all seem to go in and dead end at the base. Quads are a real bonus, cover more ground quicker. I was along the boundary a couple times alone-----the fed boys in camo rigs and gear watching me the whole time. I only happened to spot them due to a reflection off a windshield. They are very stealthy. off road is some extremely rough terrain. hit the guzzlers this time of year and you'll find the sheep. i really want to get out and scout some too----just not sure when i will be able to. keep me in the loop on your plans.

Thanks for the info. We didn't want to bring the quads all the way down if we didn't need them. My friend wants to come down in two weeks but we might wait until September when it is alittle cooler. Are you going to go elk scouting before your hunt? I will be up there for the late hunt I know three people that drew this year.

My buddy with the sheep tag had an 111 elk tag last year and hired the Marques Brothers we hunted hard with them so I have some good ideas of where to look. Another friend also had an elk tag there last year and hunted with Pintar. He wants to help me out along with another friend who purchased a landowner archery tag this fall. I will hunt with him in late August and the other info should get me started on the right track.

As for the sheep I would suggest coming down in the heat----when they frequent the guzzlers to get an idea of the sheep in the area. the heritage tag holder got a 174 ram there last yr. realitively small unit and 4 tags so should be able to see plenty of sheep ----just picking the one that looks good to you.

You may want to come down once this summer w/o the quads then again later with them to really check out the unit. I also suggest spending 3-4 days before the season then be ready opening day or two to tag out.

Well you should have a real good idea on your elk hunt. Those guys have lived their whole lifes there. I thought the heritage killed his ram in the bares? I have a guzzler map and it shows six of them have they put anymore up there? Yeah it looks like the area is pretty small for four tags so I am guessing the sheep population is doing good there. Is killing a 160 ram possible in this unit? Thank for the info we'll probably head down there in a couple of weeks.

a Carson "Senator" coming SOUTH to Scout ??? In the Bears,3 excelent waters Buzzworm,Charles and Tungston. West sides in a.m. and East sides in p.m. We found Quality,in another unit last year using that method.Of course come Nov "OPENER" those Bad Boys will be in the nasty stuff,healing up.Good Luck ---

I didn't go to Carson. I pretty sure the bares are in 253W We'll be in the specter range. I want to stop and look for sheep in the bares too they have killed some nice ones there the last few years. Thanks for giving me so info on the bares. Ryan

I think I may go out and look around July 2nd. Yes there are 6 guzzlers in the unit and some real toads. they split the unit because all the hunting pressure was in the bares with easier access. So the Spectors have really not been hunted too hard of late. Last Nov got some rain so the sheep were off the guzzlers whick is why the hunters took alittle more time to tag out. Biologist is confident there are more than one ram pushing 170 in that unit. We just need to find em. Good luck---I will report on my day trip----if you go to the Bare check around Species Spring----usually sheep in that area.

bp

yes we did end up going out.... looked and looked didnt find one sheep. was plenty hot too. we only went in the main road that is not gated and locked. there are 4 gated access points to the east side of the range. All have signs to contact LVMPD vegas metro police? why i dont know. I'm sure if we can into those roads some sheep will appear. it is all public land so I dont know why it is locked off. We did run into the base border boys all camo out and trying to be sneeking near the boundary. they never approach you or try to do anything---unless im sure you step inside. I have always found them with the windshield glare giving them away. they are always in a hummer and a mile or so off any road. good luck in your scouting
bp

Thanks bp, I'll have my friend call LVMPD this week before we go. I guess if they wont open up the gates we probably wont go until they will. I'll let you know what LVMPD says about the gates. Ryan

bp, My friend called LVMPD and they didn't know anything about the gates. Was there a phone number on the sign? Are you planning on going out there any time soon? Ryan

I went to the sheep banquet last night and met a couple guys both said the chains have a link cut out of them and you can just open em up??? Guess we never looked that closely. We plan to go up again soon. May even fly the area to see it from the air and pinpoint the guzzlers. Should be doing this in the next 2 weeks will let you know what we find out.
bp

If you want to fly the area, better do it quick! Archery deer opens on the 12th, and after that, you can't fly an area for scouting purposes. Wouldn't want to see anyone get in deep for something like that.

Thanks bp, What sheep dinner were you at? We're not planing on coming down until September when it is alittle cooler. I am going up in 034 this weekend to scout for sheep, my friend knows the person that has a tag. I can't wait to go, there are some nice sheep up there. Let me know how the scouting goes. Have up been up to Ely yet? They have been getting alot rain there, my dad was up there Thursday though Saturday and said it rained quite a bit. It should be an awesome hunting season this year. Talk to you later Ryan

Ryan

we went up this morning to check out the gate situation along the highway access. Of the five chainlink gates 4 are easily opened, the other one is locked but it only accesses the pipline easement that follows along the highway anyway--no use. The four gates all opened via a link cut out or wire or nothing or slip a gate off its hindges. Looks like some very nice sheep country, we didnt glass much as we were on a mission to scout access points and see the roads in. Saw five coyotes at the first guzzler. Good access easy decent roads to were you need to go. Quads would be a bit quicker but not required for the general main stuff, couple off shoots that we will explore more later with the quads. As you know not abig unit but lots of folds and draws to check out----still some big country to explore. Plenty of room for 3-4 tag holders. Will post more as I know it. good luck. just got off the phone with a moose guide in WY----will probably go it alone. bp

Thanks bp, I was wondering how the area was. Looking at maps it looks like there is alot of places the sheep could hide. I was up in 034 this weekend looking around, we saw three small rams and a bunch of ewes and lambs. I will e-mail you pictures tomorrow. Ryan

Alright Ryan, I am Brian's buddy who has the 253E tag. I read your replies. I thought I better get plugged in with you. Geez, I actually broke down and registered on line so I could tell you guys the real deal about 253 East.

Brian is my friend who is helping me out on my hunt for sheep this fall. He also was a great help to me last fall with my Elk hunt up at Ely with the Marques brothers. I don't want to think about that too much.....I had tag soup. ugh. Anyway, Brian is going to have to start focusing on his Elk hunt. My hope is to nail Mr. Big so I can help Brian before his season is over. I owe him bigtime for all his help.

Well, after the sheep indoctrination class today, some scouting, discussions with some guys at Fraternity of Desert Bighorns and speaking with the NDOW Biologists, here is the scoop on 253 East. There are 6 guzzlers. I assume you have the guzzler map. There names are as follows from left to right (west to east); Falcon, Redtail, Eagle Basin, Nine Fools, Joyce and Pat. Refer to last years NDOW checout summary to see where the 2005 kills occured. Some big boys were nailed last year. That will give you some idea where to go.

Brian, by the way, how was vacation? You missed the class today. Steve made it. Also saw S. Reider.

I have been up in the area several times over the last 3 weeks. The sheep are holed up primarily around the guzzlers. The temperature on my truck thermometer said 113. It felt like 120. Very hot. In Novemeber, the sheep can be anywhere. Access to the Joyce guzzler is good with a dirt road at the intersection of highway 95 and highway 160. The gate looks like it is locked, but a link is cut out of the chain. I will probably camp a mile or so up this road in some flat desert areas. Access to 9 fools and Pat is by foot only. Same for Falcon and Redtail. I don't know about Eagle Basin yet.

This is a very remote area. My cell phone worked, although it was off an analog signal. No digital. Can hunt without ATVs, although I will bring mine.

I,ve got to go. I will keep you informed. You will owe me a steak dinner at your camp with all this info I am passing to you. Look forward to meeting you in the fall. Thanks, Nelson

Thanks Nelson, What kind of steak do you want? Do you know anyone else that has the same tag? We plan on coming down there in Sept just to look around and do alittle scouting and find a place to camp. We'll be bring a big fifth wheel so we'll be pretty close to the hwy. I think it is good that we talk during the hunt so we don't mess up someone's hunt. Last year on my sheep hunt in 252 we camped with another tag holder and had a ball, we ate dinner every night together and talked about the next days hunt. After I killed mine the next day we took her in a area where we saw sheep before and she killed a nice ram. If you want to see the pictures give me your e-mail address and I'll sent them to you. I don't know what weekend we'll be down there but I'll try to let you know. If you guys have any questions on the elk hunt let me know I might be able to help you. Thanks again Ryan

Ryan,
I am pretty sure there is a flat area in the desert up the dirt road that would fit your 5th wheel fine. Its about 500 yards off the highway. You should be fine. I will camp alittle further up the same road so we can compare notes at the end of the day. Make sure to let me know the date in Sept so we can meet and stratigize and give you the latest on my weekly scouting. I plan to have at least my brother and another buddy helping me.

Plenty of area to hunt without getting in each others way.

I will be meeting with the NDOW biologist for the Sountern Region this week. I will ask him who the other tag holders are.

Thanks
Nelson

Thanks, Nelson I'll let you know when we come down there. I don't know how many people we be down there with us yet. My friend tried to talk to the biologist at the class but too many people were talking to him. Talk to you later Ryan

Hey,

I took a sheep out of that unit a couple years ago. Scouted all the guzzlers like you're doing, etc. There's one trick to know about hunting that area around the Joyce guzzler. Quite often those sheep will sit on those little ridges to the north and east of the guzzler. From there, they watch the road coming in off the highway, and when they see you drive up that road to the Joyce guzzler, they're gone.

My suggestion is that when you first pull off the highway, and come in the gate, turn east and go down the fence line until you get to that little mining/prospecting operation, then turn north. The road will take you a long way toward that big butte to the north of you, but will eventually die at the foot of it. Hike north, going around the east side of that big butte. There are some good sheep spots in there, but eventually, you'll get to the north end of the big butte. Peek over and glass those little ridges to the north of the Joyce guzzler once you can see them. The sheep like that north east end of the mountain, around to the east of the Joyce guzzler, especially early in the morning.

I learned this trick the hard way. We'd sometimes see sheep leaving the guzzler, and we'd see sign, but couldn't ever see the sheep. Then we did what I'm telling you to do, and we'd see them camped out on those little ridges north and just a tad east of the Joyce guzzler.

Also, that 9 Fools guzzler is a great spot, but look for the sheep over to the west of it. There's a knife edge rim on that runs north and south, and there's a beaten path up on that rim. The sheep will camp all along on that trail where they can bail off to the west if they see you. Good luck.

Cameron2

10-4. I did that exact move last sunday. The old mining operation has no tresspasing signs on it now. But you can work your way around it. It is alot of walking though.

Basically, you have to come in to the sheep from a direction they don't expect. If you come after them from the main dirt road, they see you and bug out. I am convinced of that. Any hike in the area that has you doing a long button hook to observe the back side of the ridges should work.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your insight and advice.

Nelson, We are planning on coming down this weekend to do some scouting. Have you been up there lately? We'll probably camp by SR 160. Let me know if you can make it up. Ryan

Ryan

I would be great to hook up and meet you guys. Exactly, when are you going to be up there? Friday night through Sunday am? What kind of rig will you guys be in? I can be up there in 1 hour, so let me know your schedule. Will you get to Las Vegas at all? My cell is 702-810-6097.

I have been up in the area every week since early August. You can find them most any place. Generally speaking I have seen more at the tops of the mountains than low in the foothills. It is still pretty hot, 90+ degrees. Just bring your binoculars and especially a spotting scope.

Nelson

Nelson, We're leaving Carson at noon tomorrow so hopefully we'll be there around 6:00. My friends dad drives really slow. We'll be in a white chevy four door with two quads. We'll be down there until Sunday. We are probably going to camp by 160 and scout to the east from there. We are coming back down later and going to scout the towards Beatty. My buddies # is 775-315-2723 his name is Matt. Hope to see you down there. What do you drive?

Ryan

Nelson, Did you make it up there last weekend. We got there late on Friday night and went past sr 160 and turned left and went trough the gate that said contact lvmpd. We set up camp and were about to go to sleep when a car came up the road and the guy told us we were traspassing and we needed to leave right now so we went back to sr 160 and went up that road and camped.

The next morning we scouted anround the Joyce and Nine fools guzzlers we say one decent ram and some ewes and lots of sign. The other guys we were with tried to find the Pat guzzler witch they didn't. We met back at camp at noon and it was 98 so we decided to move camp and look for the other guzzlers. That evening we were tring to find eagle basin guzzler and I found a dead head(133) but we didn't find any sheep. When we got back to camp the other tag holder from this area was down there. He told us he had been scouting the bares for the last month because he thought it was part of his area and this was his first tome in the specters.

On Sunday we woke up and looked for eagle basin guzzler and found it. We saw a ton of sign but no sheep. Overall the area looks great and there is probably alot of sheep in there. Next time we go down there we are going to move glassing. This last trip we were just trying to look at as much country as possible. I'll let you know the next time we are coming down. Are you still camping in the same spot?

Ryan

Ryan

I just got back from an Antelope Hunt in Wyoming. Sorry, I have been offline for a while. My friend Brian got a big antelope and a moose. I nailed a nice goat as well.

I did try to find you guys late on that Friday afternoon, but I guess you hadn't got there yet. Saturday was my wife's Birthday so I couldn't get up there to see you.

Sounds like you are getting a good overview of the area. That is good. As you discovered, there are really only 2 roads that penetrate the area. Plan to do some serious hiking. The westerly road (going to eagle basin)has an old abandoned bus/trailer off to the right side. Did you guys see it?

Of course the easterly road is the one that leads up to the Joyce guzzler.

Most of the sheep I have seen are located in the east central part of the unit. I too have seen lots of sign around eagle basin guzzler, but no actual sheep.

Was the dead head you found recent or old?

That spot with the private gate (lvmpd sign), we should just stay away from. We don't need to get the guy mad at us.

I expect the sheep to get more random and dispursed since we have had about a solid week of rain. I am sure the sheep won't be clustered around the guzzlers like they previously were. The biologist mentioned that this type of weather just before the hunt has a big impact on sheep location.

I plan to camp on either the west or east access roads, relatively close to the highway. As you saw there are several flat spots for trailers.

I plan to get up there in the next week. I will give you a report then.

Take Care,

Nelson

Nelson, I found that dead head in the canyon leading up to eagle basin guzzler. It was pretty fresh and I scored it at 133 a mini head. It looks alot bigger but when you put it up to my other dead head everything was much smaller. We are planing on coming down the weekend before the season. I think we might camp on the west access road during the hunt. Let me know how your scouting trip went. Have you met the other two tag holders yet? We met one when we were down there he's from up north like us. He had been scouting the bares the whole month of August and realized he was in the wrong area good thing he figured it out before the season. Talk to you later Ryan

Sorry for breaking in to this facinating conversation, but I have to tell you guys that this dialog is way better than a soap opera. I am a big time desert sheep tag holder want-a-be and reading your reports is as close as I may get to hunting NV sheep.(I keep putting in anyway) But none the less I hope you will keep posting your reports. For sure I would love to see the pics of the results and hear the stories of the hunts. So can I say--keep it up. You guys are fun to read!
By the way Ryan, I saw your last year's sheep in the pics section---WOW what a pig! Congrats!

littlebighorn, I'll keep you posted on how the hunt goes, only three more weeks. I can't wait I feel pretty lucky to be able to go sheep hunting two years in a row.

Dido to what littlebighorn said. I am new to this site. Your dialogue is great. Communitaction on between hunters and sportsman on a trophy tag like this is just great. Hope you guys have a great hunt. Seen a picture of your Ram from last year Ryan (BIG ONE). I hope you guys one up Ryan's ram this year. Keep the great dialogue, and keep us posted.

Ryan,
Your own sheep picture and your posts give you alot of "street credibility". And you should count yourself lucky to sheep hunt so often! You must have a pretty flexible employer, wife, etc. but then that is just jealous talk on my part. If I ever draw, you are welcome to help me out as well! I'll be counting those days with you and I look forward to your report.

Ryan

I was scouting our area and went up the road to the canyon which approaches eagle basin. Saw your tracks. That area is looking dam good. Lots of sign, but I still haven't actually seen any sheep in that area. I spent half a day in there. I can't figure it out. I think I will hike up an ajacent mountain and try to glass that area from a distance and approach from the eastern side.

Be advised the recent rain has caused alittle growth of some minor ground cover. I am not a biologist, but it looks like there is more widely distributed food source up there right now. I don't know how long it will last and how it will affect distribution of sheep. Also, Temperatures have dropped drastically in the last week.

I am going to focus on the extreme west end in the next week or so. Road access is very poor if not impossible. So hiking is the name of the game and my spotting scope.

November 11th is around the corner, get ready!

Nelson

Nelson,

We didn't see any sheep in eagle basin either but saw a ton of sign. Did you make it to the guzzler? We are going to camp on the main road off the highway that leads into that area we liked that area better than the joyce area even though that's where we saw the sheep. We plan on being down there on the 9th. I think their is 6 of us going. I can't wait I just got back from deer hunting in area 17 for a week, no luck I was hunting with some friends from work they are still out there so hopefully they got something. Tomorrow I am heading out to area 181 with NDOW to help out with a sheep capture I've never done this before, it should be fun, I'll let you know how it goes. Come on Nov 11th !!

Ryan

Ryan

Saw your pictures on the sheep capture looked like a really neat deal. I have been planning to help on one of those but each time something comes up that I can't attend. Nelson and I got back from WY with no injuries. We each got nice antelope his scored 74 shot at 446 yds, mine was not to be out done, 79 shot at 448 yds. He will tell you I took a couple more shots but that is only because he was calling the range for me at 250 yds.

After all my help left I did get my moose. Note to self dont shoot a moose by yourself at dusk and have him die in a creek. Lots of work! We saw several moose daily was a great trip.

Good luck on your sheep hunts, Nelson seems prepared. If you happen to be standing next to him as he is shooting make sure to give him yardage at half the actuall distance :)

I leave for my elk hunt Friday. It will be a solo affair. Nelson and our buddy Steve hope to finish with the sheep in a few days then head to Ely to help me with the elk. Hopefully I can hold out till I have their help to pack it off the mountain.
Moose, antelope and hopefully an elk.........already no room in the freezer, and the taxidermy bill is mounting as well.

Good Luck enjoy the experience dont let it be over too quickly.
bpvegas

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-06 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]Nelson,

Well we are leaving on Thursday morning and are camping on the main road off the highway on the west side of the unit, we'll have two wall tenets set up and a white 4 door chevy. Stop by friday and we'll try to figure out what we are going to do on Saturday. Ryan

Ryan

No luck yet. I have had a few opportunities on some small Rams (which I passed on)and one good opportunity on a Big One. Unfortunately, he was bedded with 4 other Rams. They were high on a mountain. Brian watched from a spotting scope while I hiked for 2-1/2 hours to the mountain top. When he stood up, he was parrallel with 3 other Rams. If I shot, I was sure to take out one or two Rams behind my target, so I held off until I had a clear shot. Waiting till things were safe, I missed the shot (they were moving fast and away by then). I initially felt disappointed, but felt good about playing it safe with the other innocent Rams. I did the right thing by allowing them to clear.

Brian found a deadhead that scores 163+/-. It was shrunk pretty bad. He thinks originally was a 167+ Ram originally. The other Las Vegas tag holder has not shot a Ram yet.

I will keep you posted.

Nelson

Thanks for the update Nelson. I scored are dead heads we found the biggest one was 152 and the smallest was 142. Sounds like you're enjoying that once in a life time tag. The guy camped below us killed a 145 ram that morning I took you and Brian out. Are you still going to make it up to Ely for the late hunt if you get a sheep before the hunt starts? I am leaving a week from today. Good luck this week. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want to talk about the elk hunt. Thanks Ryan

Ryan

Nelson and I are headed out again in the morning to find him a good ram. We have seen one or two big boys so just playing the game till everything comes together. I'm trying to keep Nelson calm and not shoot a lesser ram just yet. Like Nelson mentioned the deadhead I found is perfect full curl not very big bases only 13-1/2 but carries the weight out well. Thanks for the tip on your local area there----we saw more rams in that area than any other so far.

Dont know if I mentioned to you i lost my backpack on my 222 elk hunt earlier. If you find a Badlands 2200 up where I told you I hunted its yours!!!! I know how good you are at finding deadheads, maybe you can find a camo pack too :) I want the knife and a cigar case inside both gifts, the knife from my grandfather. 2 miles north of Geyser ranch off Highway 93 about 2 miles up the main road was the last place I saw the pack.

Good luck on the elk hunt. We may be up for a day or two depending on the sheep hunt.
bp

Nelson, how did you guys do this weekend? Brian if we get down to that area I'll look for your pack but I don't know if we will. The biggest dead head I found only had 13 1/2" bases also and it looked like it had a nice curl but the horns are alittle under 30". Talk to you guys later. If you guys have anymore info on ely let me know. This storm this week might help us out, it's going to be cold.

As I emailed you the other day, I bagged my Ram last Sunday after a 4.5 hour hike to the top of a godforsaken peak. NDOW says it is very old at 9.5 years. It has big 14.5" bases and is broomed off on both sides. His horns have alot of character, with chips and cactus needles imbeded in them. Gross score 148 +/-. He is absolutely a once in a lifetime Ram for me. The memories, the mental highs and lows I will never forget. I could not have done it without the help of my buddies Brian and Steve.

I can't figure out how to post a photo in this post. Didn't I email you photos?

Today at 7:15 am, the other So. Nv tagholder (Robert) shot his Ram. I saw it at NDOW at the checkout. Very nice Ram, 7 years old, 146. 13.5" bases. Brian and I chased that SOB 3 mornings. He would always escape into the Nevada Test Site Boundary. We abandonded that area, but Robert outfoxed the Ram. He got up at 3:00am and climbed Specter peak to be in position for a shot at 6:30 am. that ram really got under my skin.

Take care in Ely on the Elk hunt. Nelson

Nelson, Congrats on killing your ram. I was wondering how big the bases were. I'll e-mail your pictures to someone I know that post them on the post if you don't mind. I was wondering where you got your ram from. It good to hear everyone killed their ram in that area. It was great meeting you guys. Hopefully we'll meet up sometime in the field.

Just to let everyone know that has been reading this post. There was 4 rams killed in this area and they were gross scored by NDOW at 142,145,146 & 148.

Been following this posts. Very good post and glad you got your ram. Post some good pictures whenever you can. Good job.

Bill

I'm with Bill, as I mentioned above! This post has been fun to read from beginning to end. I, too, want to see pictures, and a story on the hunts would be real nice. Thanks guys.
Rick

Here's one picture that nvnative sent me. I will work on resizing the rest later.

456f09c235a98082.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom