NV Job Interview

AZStickman

I'm working out in Carson City NV this week and as I was driving back to my hotel I noticed a few ranches just east of town.The ranch names were a little "fluffy" but I figured this area isn't that far from San Francisco and maybe they were run by CA transplants.Having some ranching experience as a kid growing up in Montana and liking the area I decided to go in and see if the were looking to hire an experienced hand.

I was a bit surprised to find the ranch manager was a woman and she said they always have openings for qualified candidates and asked me what my specialties were. I told her I was good at round ups and hog tieing. I was also an experienced long rider and could stay in the brush for extended times no matter how rough it got. She seemed impressed and asked if I was hung. I told her I wasn't and that was why I learned to ride long and hard.

She said it sounded like I had the qualifications they were looking for and told me how much they paid. I can tell you ranch hand wages have really gone up over the years but the working schedule is a bit different from what I remember.

She asked If I could start on Monday and I told her I probably could but would like to have a look at her spread before accepting the offer. Oh my!!!!!!!...... Job interviewing in Nevada is something else...... Wish me luck in my new job..... Terry

Is the livestock on the ranch male or female? I'd hate to find out I'd be working with a bunch of steers rather than heffers!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I heard the terrain is a bit hairy....

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

"So what did the 'spread' look like? "

There was a nice valley with quite a bit of brush but it looked well maintained. She told me the valley had good moisture and occaisional running water. The Valley sloped up over a rise to the north and lead onto a flat plain where you could view twin peaks further up. They had quite a bit of elevation to them and I would guess it gets quite nippy at the summit....... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-11 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]If it's the ranch I'm thinking of, I used to poach that property when I was younger. Now they offer high fence guided hunts.

Eel

I used to wait on the neighbors property for game to hop the fence. Although, most of the game that came over was not the B&C type that stayed loyal to the ranch. I guess you could say they were the PISSCUTTERS. The meat tastes the same no matter how big the antlers.

Steve

Carefull Stickman! I managed a ranch very similar for a couple of years. After the first hard winter, that beautiful plain and valley drifted over. Every pass I tried to travel ended up in a sloppy mess! Trespassers got to be a hell of a problem as well. I'm not saying don't enjoy your new position, but remember, after a while, it's just a job.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom