NV antelope (units 12-14)

E

ews

I have been reading the posts about people "hunting the internet" and agree totally that it is abused. Even though I live in Arizona, my boots will be on the ground in NV scouting to be sure!
I would however, like to ask a few GENERAL questions for those in the know about Nevada. After ten years of applying all over the west I finally drew a non-resident permit for what my research shows to be a great antelope unit. I have hunted marginal areas in Wyoming and Colorado for antelope in the past with some success (83 3/8" gross), but this NV tag combined with this year's moisture promises to be my best chance at a truly outstanding buck. I am planning to hunt the entire 10 days.

What is the terrain like? From my maps and aerial photos it looks rough!

If I am willing to go home empty handed after 10 days, is the expectation of a 85" gross buck realistic?

How difficult is it to get around the units? ATV needed?

How much pressure should I expect from other hunters?

Is hiring someone with local knowledge necessary? If so who do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share!!!! ERIK

Erik, I have a friend who drew this zone too. I hve done a tone of coyote hunting and bird hunting in the unit and yes it is rough....A quad would really help....Trust me on that one. I will be scouting the heck out of it for my buddy.....The goats look real good this year....I have seen one exceptional goat, but he was in a different zone. My other buddy has that zone. Seems like we all drew tags this year, so lots of scouting. The mistake most make is shooting a goat too soon.....Sounds like you won't do that......Don't neglect to look in the higher country. I am finding more and more goats up high!

Ews, You might want to give Tony Diebold an e-mail his website is nevadatrophyhunts.com. He kills some nice ones. They gave out a ton of tags this year. I hunted it last year but killed one too soon. I like the north part of 012 less people up there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I just got word I was blanked for all species in Oregon too. That lack of success goes with the same in WY, UT, CO and MT. Only NM and AZ left to get lucky! I am going to have to play all my cards this year on this antelope hunt. My second son is due the 21st of September so the prime time for elk hunting is out the window too! Guys - don't let your wife whisper in your ear from December through February, it will play hell on your hunting for years!

NV30378, honker and nvnative79 - Thanks so much for your willingness to share! Drop me a e-mail if you wish to be more discrete. Happy Trails, Erik

[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom