NR question

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I live in Idaho, but have been building some points in Wyo.

While I would love to use BP's to get some dream hunt in a LE unit, I think's it's best to start getting to know some country where I can hunt with my boys every 2-3 years and really get to know over time.

Being from SW Idaho, I am gravitating toward the western part of the state, particularly the SW part as my son is in the Air Force in Texas and flying into SLC would be good for him and we could drive up I80 from there.

Right Now I am looking at Unit 93(antelope), G(deer), etc. My research says this may be an area we can learn and hunt multiple species with some reasonable success if we do our part. We have 4pts for all species now and I realize we may need to go into special draw to guaranty Antelope.

My son's job in the AF keeps him tied down till the end of Sept, so we would need to go in Oct, likely first half. We tend to deer and elk hunt more the last week of Oct and first week of Nov here in Idaho.

Hoping I might get some feedback regarding my plan. I'm not looking for a free ride here on spots, though if you would like to swap any info for some places to hunt OTC here in Idaho for Deer/Elk I would be happy to help there.

Brian

Can you draw 93 with 4 pts?Sounds like a good plan you've got going.Sounds very doable if you can draw the 93 tag with 4 pts.I have hunted 93 a few times...

In the "special" pool I can, it would be a 50/50 bet in the regular I think. I'd pay the extra $500-$600 for my boy and I.

Good thing is I have 2 other boys, one with 3 pts and one with 4 that won't go this year so I might be able to hunt this unit(averaging the points) with one boy per year for the next couple and get to know it.

Sounds like a plan if you go Special Draw each time to have a good chance where the regular would be tough, if not impossible, without >4PPs.

Back in 2007 I drew the 93 Lope tag with 2 pp's but that has all changed now. I went the last full week of Sept as i did not want to contend with rifle deer hunters on Oct 1st in that unit.
Guess what, first morning out it SNOWED and made for getting around later a nice "slippery" road condidtion.
Next day it was clear and cool and the roads to get to the part of the area was typical of WY roads messy....so have chains.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

How about that area as a place to start getting to know for deer and elk. Clearly I would not expect them to be in the same area and figure we will need head up elevation, but is all the decent deer hunting around there the more classical high country in G around Grey's River, etc.

How far from Oct mule deer would we be, my son is thinking about that for this trip since his time to hunt idaho is limited unlike mine. He would be looking for a decent 3x, maybe a small 4pt. We have great glass and at 6'4, 160 he can really cover ground to find them if they're there.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom