NR question

kawboy

Very Active Member
I am sure you guys get sick of these questions. I just need a little clarification. Within region W lies a few units, namely 82,84,100,101,102, and 131. I know that 84,101,and 102 are limited entry units. I want to eventually hunt unit 102.

Until I draw that unit, Is it possible to hunt the other units in the region with a general tag? I have never hunted wyoming before and I have been unable to translate the proclamation for my specific needs.

Do I apply for a region w tag and hunt all areas that are not limited quantity.

Sorry I am completely clueless, any information is very appreciated. I have good knowledge on some units in UT and would be willing to trade information.

Thanks

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

kawboy, Why 102? I have 2 good buds that drew and hunted the unit in the last two years, one came home not seeing a big buck and the other did his homework and hunted hard everyday of the season to finally take a mediocre at best deer... but he too never saw a good shooter.

Maybe, maybe not, but there seems to HAVE to be a better place to hunt big bucks if that's what you are after. I guess all the negative comments about that unit, from locals mostly, are true. It ain't really, "all that".

Good luck to you!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Yes to both questions. A general tag would be good anywhere in W outside those limited quota units you mentioned.

Sage, I am looking to hunt 102 because I have been through the area quite a few times and have seen some dandy bucks. I am willing to look elsewhere, but that's just an area I have been through. 84 has also got my attention. I am just starting to look into hunting Wyoming and figured I would start there. Wanna join me?

"Wanna join me?"

lol, Fair enough! Actually, it's been three guys i know that didn't do well there. I guess from talking to these guys about their hunt, i just wanted to pass on some info and yours was the first 102 thread that i've seen.

Have ta pass on the invite, nice enough, thank you! Got a lucky mo-fo big buck killing sob for a good bud going back now exactly 40 years of hunting together...we're planning us up a trip.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Good luck to you. I am planning on working my way up to 200. Don't get me wrong, I will shoot the first one I get a chance at, but for now 150 for general areas and 170 for LE areas is my goal. I am pretty confident that I could find a 170 class buck in 102.

if your plans fall through feel free to join us. I could use some of the knowledge you have picked up over the years. There is always something to learn. I make a new discovery everytime I get out.

I only have 2 points as of now. I was planning on hunting 100 until I could draw. When I get enough points I will put in for the special draw.
But it sounds like I have a lot of homework to do before I settle on an area.

Don't mean to rain on your parade Kawboy but muskeg knows whereof he speaks. In fact according to eastman's, based upon the draw odds so far for max point holders, 102 will take 33 years to get through the max point pool. So, unless you get really luck in the random draw you're going to have a looong wait. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Yea, don't want to get your hopes up but dang, it is possible. Two of the three hunters i mentioned hunting 102 put in as a group. One had no points and the other had several. With their combined points, no way they should have drawn but they did!

Joey

I just saw where someone won the powerball lottery in Connecticut. If you wanna waste the next 25 years on a hope and a dream stay with 102. If you want to go hunting, find a different area...

Going to venture out and say with everyone trying so hard to talk me out of it, there must be something there worth hiding. Lol.

I understand how frustrating the draw systems can be, I have lived in ut my whole life. I have 16 points for elk here. I have never hunted a limited entry hunt in my life. I figure if I try for a couple other states maybe one day it will happen.

I am after a 170 + buck what do you guys think I should put in for? At this point I am willing to listen to pretty much anybody. I want a nice buck before they are extinct.

I'd be looking at Colorado for a buck like you're talking about. You may even want to look into a landowner tag there and forget building PPs in Wyoming because I don't think it's the state it was for big deer any more. They are here, but I think your chances are better in CO the way they are managing their herds compared to Wyoming.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom