NR General elk help...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
If any of you would be willing to help me figure out where to put in as a Non-res next year ( I have points), I would really appreciate any help. I have been looking at draw reports/harvest numbers, etc and some of it is greek to me. If you are willing to help me, pm me. If not, no worries. Thanks in advance.

Steve

6 views and no negative comments yet? Wow...I'm impressed. :) Just kidding....I appreciate that.

Not that hard to figure out, NR General Elk has one choice; General.

LQ is another story, starting with your point total.

Do you horseback, or hike, how many points, and camping or motel?
To be honest, I feel I'd get a better response if i had someone pm me. I am looking to eventually email and have a phone convo or two with anyone who'd be able to help. I am a hiker, no ATV and not afraid to work hard. I will be camping in a Kodiak tent so I will be ok if it snows. I may bring my 19 foot trailer and hunt from my truck if need be. I prefer a rifle hunt and I prefer to be more to the west side of the state...or southwest. I can make it to anywhere west of Rock Springs in a days drive but this is not an end all. I have 3 NR points right now so will have 4 going in to next year. I would rather see many elk and smaller bulls rather than hunt an area where I'll see less elk and hope I see a larger bull to put a tag on. I hope this info helps.

Not that hard to figure out, NR General Elk has one choice; General.

LQ is another story, starting with your point total.
I am having a hard time figuring it out...I think. From what I gather, the areas in the central and east take LOTS of points and the areas in the southwest take less points. It looks like most bull/any elk are type 1. I had a hard time figuring out the NR and Res harvest data. I find it hard to believe that in some areas there are as many bull elk harvested as they are claiming. That is why I think I may be comprehending the data incorrectly. Any help is appreciated.

Do you want a multi area GEN license or a single hunt area LQ license?
That is what I don't know....not sure what the difference is. Need to research that. I want an area that I'll get to know and hopefully have the opportunity to hunt it every 2-4 years. I am sure the multi Gen tag is the more accessible tag, correct?

yes, look at last years regulations book and it will list all the general elk units as well as the LQ (type 1 or 2).

Ok..let me know if this makes sense to you. I went through the draw odds for last year and if I were to have had 5 points, I would've only been able to draw unit 33 with 5, 47 required 2 points, 51 required 2 points, 106 took 5 and 125 took 1. Does this make sense? I didn't go through the odds for the wilderness areas. Thanks!

What I have been hearing is that WY is a really good state to hunt elk in and there are a lot of opportunities. Are the units that only take 5 or less considerably better than units in CO that take the same amount of points?....generally speaking? I haven't looked at success rates yet. :)

I suggest you put in for the GEN General elk license. You will draw with 5 points and many of those areas which there are quite a few in Western Wyoming. The farther North you go the more Wilderness and Grizzly you will encounter. You can’t hunt any designated wilderness without a guide. Many GEN areas in Western Wyoming have high success rates. Study the Hunt Planner on Wyo G&F website it is a great tool to start.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom