NR elk 18 points

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I hate these vague posts but I really want to make the best use of my once in a lifetime Utah elk tag. I really want a legit chance at a 340 plus bull. Rifle or muzzleloader. I am thinking about a Wasatch early rifle tag.

Question for you: do you want to hunt in the rut, or late season?

Early Wasatch rifle tag for non-residents is not a guarantee but the late hunt would be more a guarantee.

Unit has lots of elk, hunt hard spend the time, and you can find a good bull. If killing a 340 bull is the goal and you want to hunt 2020 then I would apply for the late hunt.

If hunting with a rifle in September for the experience than I would try and pull a tag. It may not happen this year.

I personally think the late hunts are fun, and if I had the chance I would look for open country units. Like book cliffs or Fillmore pahvant. These have some old burns that open up for glassing late season bulls.

Good idea. I do not mind waiting another year. It looks likely I could draw early rifle. I like the open units and glassing a lot - one of my favorite ways to hunt. The rut is definitely fun and exciting but not a requirement. I do hear a lot about broken up horns during the late hunts?

I wish the best of luck to you. I'm in a similar situation with 19 NR pts and am trying to decide whether to try to hunt in 2020 or wait.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom