North Slope Uintas - Deer trophy quality?

B

Bulzeye

What is the trophy quality of deer in the High Uintas North Slope? I'm looking into the possibility of a Backpack hunt during the general muzzleloader hunt. The plan would be to go in 8-10 miles from one of the trail heads and hunt at or above timberline. I've heard there aren't real high numbers of deer in the Uintas but I'd like to know more about the trophy potential and what the reality would be to finding some quality bucks? Is it reasonable to think a guy could find a 180 type buck on a hunt like this?

North slope, wilderness area, timberline, late September, Trophy potential of deer?

Thanks,
Tim

Nope.....

2011, I spent 12 days in the back country in the Uintas..

Very, Very few deer! Saw two 2 points, and they were by a road.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

i have heard of good bucks over by whitney res. saw a couple killed a few years ago that were very nice bucks

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

goof is right, there aren't a lot of deer up there, for whatever reason. The ones that are there are widely spread, especially the bucks. The wilderness hunt in one you won't soon forget; the country is incredible and just being there has it's own benefits. There are bucks up there in the category you are looking for, just not many of them and incredibly tough to locate. Should you be successful, you would accomplish something not many others have, and that makes for a grand adventure!

If you decide to go, do your homework bigtime, and be prepared for the weather as well, it can turn on a dime that far in. Best of luck to you!

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Agreed with the rest. If you take your fishing pole you can catch some nice fish though. In the past on summer trips I have seen some big bucks but that has been quite some time ago now.

I spent many days and weekends on the north slope in search of mountain goats last year (over 20 days) and never seen any bucks above the timber line. Mostly doe and fawns, and the bucks I saw were way low and very small. Not saying there is no big bucks in there, just wouldnt waste my time for deer any where on the north slope. I think my chances of killing a big buck would be better on I-15 in salt lake then up there.

Interesting stuff... Thanks!

My brother and I have been planning a 3 day 35 mile backpacking trip into the wilderness for this July (Dead Horse Pass, Red Knob, etc). Originally it had nothing to do with hunting but the more we started looking into it the more I thought that the area may have some potential for a future high country buck hunt. I'll still probably bring some bino's just to look around but it sounds like it won't be worth the time and effort for future hunts. I'm still real excited for the pack trip in that country, I hear it's beautiful. Thanks!

I've spent 3 years up in that country and never seen a buck worth taking a second look at. Heard a couple stories about big ones just never seen them.

I agree with all the above;

I know darkcloud had a goat tag up there and spent a ton of time. My wife and I have both had goat tags up there too and in all the scouting and hunting I've not seen a buck worth backpacking out.
I spent time in both the Dead Horse pass and Rocky Sea pass areas and saw very few deer. The country is fantastic and anyone who has not trekked through the country is missing out! Go do it, you'll never forget the vistas but like others have said, be prepared since the weather can get rough in seconds!

Zeke

Hey Zeke.........I thought you and all the sheep and goat hunters were crazy, all of you get hooked on hunting sheep and goats. I told myself there was no way I could be that, but know I find myself looking and applying for any sheep or goat tag I can find:D

Good for you Darkcloud!

Any hunting is a total rush but the mountain game animals hold a certain spice for me.

Zeke

That would be a long ways to pack your muzzy just to pack it. As others have said, a fishing pole and camera would be much better options. In the north slope, I have seen very few good bucks and they have always been down in the lower country during the summer.

Thanks for all the responses. Instead of deer hunting I've got 11 NR points for Mtn Goat and it sounds like packing in for goats may be a better option!

Agree with others, there just aren't a lot of deer, you will find pockets with them though. Goats are fun. Based on last years odds you should be able to draw the central unit.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom