North Rafael Rifle Antelope Utah

30Hart

Very Active Member
Just got back from my Utah limited entry any weapon antelope hunt in the famed North Rafael unit. This was an unexpected hunt as I drew one of the two Hunting Expo permits this past spring. I searched the maps, made all the phone calls (biologist and outfitter friends included) and since I'll never draw this tag again I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on this unit. First off, I think this unit severely suffers from inflated expectations due to all the past stories from all the record book bucks that have been taken over the years. I was surprised at all the hunters that had Boone and Crockett record book bucks as their expectations including several archery hunters. Okay let me justify, I talked to the biologist (by the way one of the best I've ever talked to) before his first flyover and count of 2011. He hadn't been able to fly and do a count for the past 3 years due to bad weather on the dates the plane was booked so no census data was available for 3 years, but he estimated the population trend was up (about 1,100 on both the North and South Rafael units combined). During those past years tags numbers given out had been going up and up. I talked to him again right after he flew the area?bad news he estimated the population on both units at about 650 animals. This correlated to what I was finding out talking to the guys that recently hunted it and the outfitters that guided it. The good news was his recommendation to drop permits was accepted, but he explained to me the Board didn't have to drop permit numbers even at the 650 mark you see the North Rafael in the eyes of the Division of Wildlife is not a trophy area. Scouting showed me what I already knew small herds of antelope scattered over large expanses of real estate?lots of immature bucks, very few but enough mature bucks, and no drop your jaw monsters (true record book bucks). Most bucks lacked at least 1 to 2 critical things. Lots of bucks had weak or broken prongs, lots of bucks with no length, and very few with great mass. I talked to a bunch of different archery hunters who kindly shared their info after their hunts (thanks AWHOLELOTTABULL). I set-up on the nicest buck I could find before the season started, put him to bed and took him opening morning before he could be pushed off by all the hunters. He was a solid 78 inch buck, with decent length at 15 ?, good prongs at 5 ? and just average mass throughout. Overall I was pleased with the experience, but I wouldn't have been if I'd waited 10 years to get a tag. I rate this hunt no better than the dozen or so of the leftover antelope tag hunts I've been on in Wyoming. I'd rate it slightly better than Montana antelope but definitely way below a hard to draw tag in Wyoming and definitely not worth purchasing an auction tag that's for sure?hope this brings you all up to date.

9871antelope.jpg

Great post 30Hart. Thanks for your honesty. I'm not at all surprised to hear your story here. Things are going downhill FAST in all aspects of our society.

Very typical story of pronghorn and muley hunts these days in hyped and grossly mismanaged historically great units........and in average ones too. Things are a disaster in most of these units.

I just returned from Nine Mile/Anthro for a week. I didn't expect much........was hoping for an rare exception. I hunted Utah goats in UT last year, too.

Believe it or not, I have 4 Utah bucks as a NR.

Seems I can't post pics right now. I'll try later.

Nice buck 30hart! I take it the 2 big boys had vanished?! And you're welcome. Glad to help out a fellow hunter when I can.

It's always an adventure!!!

Hunters everywhere the day before the opener. The typical Utah trend of 10 guys helping one guy with a tag.

That'll do it down there. Those goats were so skiddish and I was the only one running around there for 2 days. I can only imagine what they are like with some traffic. You done good anyways.:)

It's always an adventure!!!

Nice Goat! Those are always fun hunts no matter what!

By no means has there ever been B&C bucks running all over that unit, and that's probably true for even the top units in the west.

It does hold some big goats though. You definitely have to put in the time scouting to turn one up, and knowing the area helps too. They are there...just not all over the place, like some people might think they are or expect them to be when they draw a tag.

My wife had an archery tag last year and this is the buck we were after.

Buck2.jpg

Lots of long days in a blind, and on the last day of the hunt she had him at 44 yards and shot right under him. Had quite a few encounters with him under 100 yards where he was crossing a fence. This buck would of been right there pushing for the new state record with a bow. One of the heaviest goats throughout that I've ever seen...he was a giant. Picture doesn't do him much justice...taken from a long ways through a spotter. But they are out there!! W

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom