North Idaho Elk... I need answers.

L

Liberty

I'm frustrated.
I've been asking a lot of questions, trying to figure out the best way to harvest an elk this year (I'm not picky, a spike would tickle my mustache). The past two unsuccessful seasons are weighing heavy on my mind, so this year I really want to bring home an elk. The problem I keep on having is finding proper elk habitat. Now, I know in other regions of Idaho, spot-and-stalk is king. But, in this thick, jungle-like forested area, it just isn't a viable option. No matter where I go to scout, the mountains are either littered with roads and ATV trails, or the brush is so thick I sound like a Silverback Gorilla when I try to traverse the terrain.
From what I understand, you need 'Get away from the roads' or 'Hike miles upon miles a day'. But with the terrain I hunt, it's pretty hard to accomplish these tasks. Now don't get me wrong, I aint asking for your honey hole. All I'd like to know is how you personally hunt this seemingly impossible area? How are you able to harvest an elk every season? How do you not wish you lived in Colorado or Nevada? Any insight into these question would be much appreciated. Oh, if it helps any, I live in the greater CDA area. This should give you an idea on what regions I'm able to hunt. Thank you.

If you don't like the thick timber, head south. Elk can't survive only in thick timber, they need to feed, but they can sure hidey hole up there for a while.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]my buddy who lives up north pan handle said he'd been having a hard time as well because of the heat n wolves but he sealed the deal yesterday on a big 5x5

I usually kill a bull every year in the panhandle. I get out and cover ground and cow call as if I were a elk moving thru. Keep ears open they are your biggest asset when out there...listen for distant bugles, mews or subtle branches breaking coming to you. If I get into areas with lots of sign or known areas where elk are always I will set up and blind call and wait atleast 45 min before moving. I have called in alot of elk silent up here. Get out in the dark and listen for bulls..then move in on the bugles. Move in as close as possible then soft cow call and break limbs roll rocks etc. I have never worried about making noise in the elk woods as long as they arent human noises.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom