Nonresident App Drop?

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
Haven't seen any published numbers. How many nonresidents dropped OR due to the price increase making the extremly low nonresident quota and hunt quality in comparison to other states just not worth it? How many didn't and were reeled in because the points hook was set too deep? the break even point was 45%---If 45% or less of the nonresidents dropped, they got away with it with no nonresident revenue loss. I decided to quit throwing good money after bad and dropped...Curious to see the numbers.

I heard NR numbers were down, but they still made money. This was before the deadline. I don't believe the big drop will be this season, it will be down the road 2 or 3 years when everyone gets one hunt and drops out.

Rich

I think it all depends on point numbers. I have 12 points going in this year, which sucks because it's just enough to force me to stay in. I have a good hunting partner there I would like to visit as well. If I were in single digits I would bail now.

How many points do you guys have? What is your thinking?

I am wondering if I should bail next year, wait to burn my elk points and maybe antelope. From what I've read my deer points appear worthless.

I would burn points soon as you can. Deer points are not TOTALY worthless....but NOT worth waiting for more than a few years....not 10+ years like it is now. Deer hunting here is going downhill.....still some big bucks, but deer are declining....

Hopefully things will turn around here in the future for Oregon. I have been on some UT hunting threads recently and those residents have talked about how bad deer hunting was in there state in the 80's and then had a huge turn-around and now heading back down with a big push to only benefit the elk. Looking back over the past 100 years in all states will show up and down game numbers and good or bad hunting seasons throughout the decades. Lets just hope Oregon turns around and we can draw our tags before we are unable to hunt as hard as we can. Alaska is probably the only state (and maybe not) that I would assume a person could live their entire life and have great hunting. Too much happening down here in the lower 48 to not have negative effects on our game.

"Hopefully things will turn around here in the future for Oregon"

It will when the wolves are managed, cougars can be hunted with dogs, doe and cow tags are LIMITED, and tag numbers for bull and buck hunts are reduced for a couple years if not just close some units entirely for a couple years. Pretty simple if your about the game and not the MONEY!

I had 10 across the board. But I just couldn't justify paying $175 just to apply for the small pittance Oregon offers nonresidents. That's as much money as other states for far less opportunity. When it was half the price, it was a tough call, but for less $100, plus a stab at a sheep tag too...OK. I was thinking too many nonresidents would just pay whatever, thinking they had too many points to lose them. Plus, more of those high points ones would try to cash in and try to draw rather than do points only for a few years making nonresident draw odds even worse for a while. Like I said, I just felt it was time to stop throwing good money after bad. I really have to cut back in these times anyway, they made the choice easy.

Elmer, just sit on your points for a few years then. Oregon got rid of the "if you dont apply for 2 consecutive years" rule. They are good for as long as you keep them. Thats my understanding anyhow....

>Elmer, just sit on your points
>for a few years then.
>Oregon got rid of the
>"if you dont apply for
>2 consecutive years" rule. They
>are good for as long
>as you keep them. Thats
>my understanding anyhow....

Your right on BMA

Good plan...Just wait and see what the future brings.

BTW, I haven't drawn anything in OR in the whole 10 years I have applied. I never did points only, and have tried for some stuff I would have got if not subject to the really dinky OR cap...

In the same time period, I have drawn tags in every other state I have applied in, mutiple times in many...Of course, OR has by far the stingiest nonresident quota of any (except for elk in CA) I'd pay comparable costs for comparable opportunity;)

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with trying to draw an Oregon tag. Hopefully you will get your tags in the future and have some great hunts with success stories.

the non-res price for oregon is to much, the hunting isn't great, but the absolute worst part of oregon is their non-resident cap. it should be illegal to have such a stingy cap, combine that with the price and below average hunting , and i can see why non-residents will bail

I stayed in because I get a bow tag to hunt blacktails every year & have 13 points for each species but I agree the N.R.tag quota is the worst in the west!
David

The only good thing about Oregon hunting is they don't have to worry about SFW moving in and prostituting the hunting because their are no nonresident tags left for them to pimp into wealth tags!

I dropped out with 5 points as a NR. As ElmerFudd said, it's just not worth it now COMPARED TO WHAT OTHER STATES OFFER FOR THE SAME MONEY. I can see why some people would stay in, but if you have a choice to spend deer hunting money somewhere else, that would be wise.

For all that participated in the thread I had on there in April "My email to Oregon" I got about 100 replies, and as promised, I printed them off and sent them in to Oregon's commission with a goodbye letter. Doubt I'll ever hear from them, but if I do, I'll let you know.

The Christian

I passed with 11 deer, 11 antelope, 9 elk. Mainly cause I couldn't justify applyin for myself, wife and son for that price. Who knows next year????? The 2 or 3 years without applying/lose points would have probably kept me in eventually to maintain what I had. Hope ODOW doesn't read this.

I also didn't apply for the first time in ten years for the same reasons as has been expressed here. They made my decision easy and i feel like i saved $650.00 this year. yahoo. We will see what the future holds for Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom