Nonres starting to collect preference points

BillyBoB

I've never hunted out of the state of Utah but would like to start collecting points to one day hunt in Wyoming. I'm in no rush and I'm willing to wait 5-10 years if I have to. Ive only hunted mule deer and that's my focus in Utah. But my question is, should I focus on elk or mule deer in Wyoming? Which species is easier to draw as a nonres? I'm hoping to harvest a 190 muledeer or a 350 bull. Can anyone give me some insight on this topic. I'm new to all this non resident stuff and just want to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife, and the conservation of all our natural resources, are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be exploited by the few against the interests of the majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources for the public as a whole, for the average man and the average woman who make up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of means."

I think point purchase ends at the end of the month, so if you are thinking about it you better hurry. $50 for Elk and $40 for muledeer. Were you thinking DIY or guided.

DIY.
I know the deadline is close. I can see there is more people with preference points for elk than deer. My goal or dream is to harvest a huge muley. I've been collecting points in Utah while hunting general units. I haven't been able to reach my goal but I'm going to keep trying. Even if that means going out of state. I just want to give myself more options.
I'm not rich by any means so a guided hunt is alot less likely.
Thanks for your responses.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife, and the conservation of all our natural resources, are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be exploited by the few against the interests of the majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources for the public as a whole, for the average man and the average woman who make up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of means."

If you can swing the fee you could get points for both. Honestly, a 190 inch mule is tough in even the best areas in Wyoming. You may be better off trying to hunt a descent area that you can hunt ever couple of years and learning how to hunt it. Just a thought.

Elk, Pronghorn and Mule Deer in that order is what I would do. Might as well do all three if you can afford it though.

Honestly, 190 inch Mule deer and 350 inch Elk are a tall order - even in the best LQ units. However, if you are looking for a quality public land hunt with few hunters and mature animals 5 or 6 preference points will do it for deer and Elk in Wyoming - especially if you're willing to apply in the special draw.

BillyBob,
Everyone else has commented on your goals, as far as animal quality, so I won't comment on that but, I did want to talk about the cost of preference points. You may or may not be aware that the WGFD is proposing an increase of both preference points and license fees.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/news-1000952.aspx
click on Proposed license fee adjustment chart

The overall cost of your deer or elk license will be quite high considering the "5-10 years" of buying points.

If you can commit to that amount of money to hunt Wyoming then start buying points this year (before Oct. 1st).

However, if you're serious about killing a 190" mulie or a 350" bull, the quality of animals that Wyoming has to offer will be a disappointment compared to your overall investment in preference points and license fees. Just my opinion.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom