nonres question

L

LARRYDEAN30

my wife is wanting to come on my next hunt and i'm looking at wyoming mule deer, i have 2 points.i see that you can hunt a doe/fawn for $34. so if i bring her, she could harvest a doe for a total of $34 + application fees of $14? thanks

Yeah . . . Killing a doe mule deer should be illegal in Wyoming. Look into doe whitetail or doe antelope.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-14 AT 07:30AM (MST)[p]If there is a history of leftover tags in the area you're going to hunt, you could buy her the tag in July and that even saves the $14 application fee. She will also need a Conservation Stamp just like you will, regardless of what you're hunting.

thanks topgun- i had no idea about the conservation stamp.still figuring out wyomings laws and regs (trying to anyhow)

I have not bought a doe deer tag in years but I do try to pick up a couple of leftover antelope doe tags.that is what I would recommend.A fun hunt for sure.

And better eating of the Antelope in my opinion IF taken care of properly and soon in the field.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

We dont have any where near the deer we use to. I think anybody would be crazy to shoot a doe mule deer in wyo. I wont even let my 13 year old daughter shoot a doe deer.!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-14 AT 07:16PM (MST)[p]>We dont have any where near
>the deer we use to.
>I think anybody would be
>crazy to shoot a doe
>mule deer in wyo. I
>wont even let my 13
>year old daughter shoot a
>doe deer.!

***IMHO that is really a ridiculous statement because in some areas there are too many deer for the habitat and there is a need to manage the herd by taking excess animals, namely does. In many areas where the herds are down there are no doe permits and some Type 1 and 2 tags only allow a buck to be taken. That is the proper way to manage the animals area by area and not by making a broad statement like you did. There are biologists paid to do what we're talking about and if politics doesn't get in the way things would be done properly by letting them do their job and listening to them.

I didnt mean to offend anyone but I think our deer numbers and quality have been going downward in most of the state.

The tag is going to sell so if you want to shoot a doe deer then buy the tag and shoot one. All the guys who don't want to shoot one can buy the tag and burn it.
Choosing between a doe deer or doe antelope, my un-asked-for-opinion is antelope doe meat is as good as it gets. Take her with you, buy a tag for something and let her shoot one.

I would much rather shoot an antelope doe than a deer doe. The meat is better IMO but both are good. Where we hunt in Region D near the Miracle Mile, there aren't enough does to shoot. This past season, we didn't see one buck during the 4 days of hunting deer. It's been declining for the past 6 or 7 years. I won't be going back next year. It's too far to go for me just to shoot an antelope.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

>I didnt mean to offend anyone
>but I think our deer
>numbers and quality have been
>going downward in most of
>the state.

***You didn't offend anyone. It's just too broad a brush to paint by making that statement. Yes, overall the deer numbers are down in a lot of areas, but where they need thinning because there are more than the available habitat it's better to shoot a few does than have them starve to death in a bad winter. As stated by our other member, there is nothing forcing anyone to shoot does if you don;t feel it's right.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-14 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Within the bounds of the law it's certain acceptable, to each his own. The G&F is fairly conservative anyway given current deer numbers. The only place I can think of that might require a significant mule deer doe harvest would be to benefit ranchers who have too many deer on their land. There simply are not many areas on public land where harvesting mule deer does is a good idea. There's a boatload more opportunity for whitetail or antelope does.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom